Building Sub-Wall in Garage

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Acadian

Building Sub-Wall in Garage

Post by Acadian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:46 am

I have recently had a new shower installed in my 1/2 bath with pipes running inside exterior wall leading to garage. I was advised that garage walls are considered exterior walls and therefore, I should build a sub-wall (Second Wall) with insulation to prevent my pipes from freezing in cold weather.

My questions are:

1. Since there is already an existing wall with Vapor Barrier, do I need to install a second Vapor Barrier on the second wall?

2. If so, do I put it in between both walls before I put my 2x4 studs up or after between the 2x4 and new plywood?

3. Don't install any vapour barrier as the existing wall already has one?

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Acadian

Shannon

Re: Building Sub-Wall in Garage

Post by Shannon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:37 pm

Acadian wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:46 am
1. Since there is already an existing wall with Vapor Barrier, do I need to install a second Vapor Barrier on the second wall?
No the existing vapour barrier is all you need. remove the wall finish from the garage wall and frame your new frame against that and insulate then install new drywall. You could possibly just remove the existing wall covering and then install 2" rigid insulation to the studs and cover with drywall and mud, tape and finish joints.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon