Repairing Link fence

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
jeb101

Repairing Link fence

Post by jeb101 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:40 pm

So, we have a chain link fence in the back yard, the posts are straight and sturdy, but due to it being a short fence, likely for a dog or kids, it's like 3 feet tall, and snow absolutely demolished the top of the fence, making it more of an eye sore than a functional fence.

From my experience with installing wooden fence, the hardest part is def getting the posts in the ground, after that it's just building out.

Few questions,
Is it worth fixing a fence that is susceptible to snow damage?

Should I extend the height of the posts with an insert of sorts on top of the existing posts and go from there?

Just trying to get a head start for spring when I get around to working in the yard, save up the pennies for those repairs.

Cheers!

A. Spruce

Re: Repairing Link fence

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:09 pm

You could install a top rail on the fence to attach the top of the fence to, this will keep snow from bending the fence over. The rail alone might fix your problem and you wouldn't need to replace the fencing itself.

If height is an issue, then you're probably going to want to install new posts to the correct height, adding onto a post isn't going to give you the strength you need to support a taller fence, particularly if it's getting any kind of wind or snow load on it. You could bolt taller posts to the existing, but that wouldn't look very good. It might be possible to find a larger diameter post to slide over the top of the existing, which would work just fine.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Yes I agree add a top rail and you should not have a problem. I'm surprised you have a problem now? Are the posts really far apart causing the fence to not be supported as well as it should have been?
If the original posts where put in the ground far enough then adding to the pipes should work. Slightly larger post that slips over would work or maybe welding new top pieces to the old ones?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:07 pm

I think you guys are right, the top rail is the problem and not the fence itself. The installer used solid T style caps to attach each rail. Not helping is that the yard is on a bit of a slope with a high water table. The posts are still level, but any movement is pushed right into those posts. As for the distance between posts, I'd say roughly 8-10ft depending on the post.

If I were to fix this, I figure they have caps that can accept up/down movement? But not sure if the distance + snow would still be an issue? We can get quite a bit of blowing snow in these parts.. But either way, I'm not going to touch this until spring / summer, I have loads to keep me going here until then. :lol:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Not sure what a T shaped fence post cap is? Maybe a picture of this fence and the caps may help?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Yeah, pics would help. Even finding pics online of what you have vs what you want will be helpful.

As for caps to hold a top rail, if necessary, you can drill and install a screw to secure in place, though if you tie the fence to the top rail you shouldn't need the screws.

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 am

I'm not at home for now, but here is a pic of what they have connecting all the posts.

Hope this helps with the description, I don't know the terminology and kind of brute force my way through google to find the right wording for it. What we got here is a line rail T clamp it seems. haha

Thank you all so much

Cheers

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 pm

I've not seen those. If you've got those, then you should have a top rail, which means you simply get yourself some wire stays and wire a few of the top links to the rail, 3 or 4 per section should do the trick.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm

jeb101 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 am
I'm not at home for now, but here is a pic of what they have connecting all the posts.

Hope this helps with the description, I don't know the terminology and kind of brute force my way through google to find the right wording for it. What we got here is a line rail T clamp it seems. haha

Thank you all so much

Cheers
I have never seen those brackets but I would say wire the fence sections up to top pipe in these clamps and you should be good. If the clamps want to slide down the post over time you could through bolt them or add a self taping screw though each one into the post.

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 am

I took a closer look when I drove by the house to shovel, there are only 2-3 of the ones listed above, the rest are the simple, old school tops with the hole through it where the pipe sits, around 20-30ft of pipe, and one of those T connectors to attach the other pipe.

The issue is less the fence disconnecting from the top rail, but the top rail is being pulled and bent out of shape, they look like a wave pool. So odds are, this summer I'll install separate tops on each post with those swivel tops, with post sized top rails, so they can move independently, as well as making it easier to repair in the future if I ever need to again.

Thank you all so much for your insight and input, it really helped me focus on where to look for what causes the issue, as well as options for the solutions. I'll be sure to come back and post the results of the repairs as I complete them. Many are done half assed (pictures before and after that is), and some are well documented.

Cheers!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm

We are glad we could help. Good luck in the spring!