Chimney Repair

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Toolfriend

Chimney Repair

Post by Toolfriend » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Just had a recommendation to have a chimney liner installed. Do you concur from these pictures?
Attachments
IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1419.JPG (63.81 KiB) Viewed 198 times

emtnut

Re: Chimney Repair

Post by emtnut » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Old style chimneys like that are not up to code anymore. The inserts give better ventilation (not too much, not too constrictive... from what I've read)

If you're not changing any equipment, ie furnace, HWT, woodstove, there is no obligation to upgrade.

Curious what work you have going on there, that there is an HVAC tech recommending this ???

If it is a furnace or HWT, it would be in your interest to change to a high efficiency direct vent, and ditch the chimney ! Oil furnaces still need a chimney, and when you replace them, the liner is required by code.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Toolfriend

Post by Toolfriend » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:54 am

Thank you. I just had the chimney inspected because it has been over 10 years since the last cleaning. I do have a high-efficiency OIL burner and when I replaced that about 3 years ago no one mentioned the chimney. So I had my oil company who installed the burner inspect the chimney and they recommended an insert surrounded by something like vermiculite, Is the vermiculite insulation required as I have another chimney guy recommend an insert with no insulation. The burner company wants $2650 and the other guy wants $1800, Not sure what to do. The burner guy says no rush and the other chimney guy said to do it as soon as possible. I am unsure and may need another quote or just leave it alone for awhile. What do you think?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Sorry but I have no real experience with this so I don’t have anything helpful to add .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Toolfriend wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:54 am
Thank you. I just had the chimney inspected because it has been over 10 years since the last cleaning. I do have a high-efficiency OIL burner and when I replaced that about 3 years ago no one mentioned the chimney. So I had my oil company who installed the burner inspect the chimney and they recommended an insert surrounded by something like vermiculite, Is the vermiculite insulation required as I have another chimney guy recommend an insert with no insulation. The burner company wants $2650 and the other guy wants $1800, Not sure what to do. The burner guy says no rush and the other chimney guy said to do it as soon as possible. I am unsure and may need another quote or just leave it alone for awhile. What do you think?
Assuming it was a licensed HVAC contractor that installed the new furnace, I'm surprised they didn't install a chimney liner then !
I had my oil furnace replaced about 10 yrs ago, and they installed the liner. (It's been in code for quite awhile now)
Technically, as long as the existing chimney provides a negative pressure. all is good. But those old chimneys can develop drafts and you risk CO leaking into your home.
Personally, I'd be OK with a tech doing yearly service and measuring the negative pressure, but I can't comment on your chimney's safety.

As far as insulation. It's recommended when the chimney is on the outside of the house. I went with just air blocking at the top and bottom. I'm in a cold climate as well.

If it were me, I'd get in at least 2 reputable HVAC contractors and get their opinion.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~