Connecting a wall, and step flashing

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
woodsy

Connecting a wall, and step flashing

Post by woodsy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:26 am

I am building a 8'x14' porch this spring at my cabin. The one wall that will be connected to the cabin has nothing to connect it to but 5/8" T1-11 siding. My idea is to use toggle anchors, screws, and construction adhesive to connect the one porch wall to the cabin. Is this the way I should be doing it, or is there some other way of connecting the porch wall to the cabin? The other wall will be fine I am connecting that to a stud in the cabin wall.
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG (136.7 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Next question, I am going to use step flashing for the the roof on the porch,the flashing isn't going to be covered by any siding or anything else. There are grooves in the T1-11 siding what should I do to prevent water from going behind the step flashing? I am thinking roofing cement or silicone.
Next question, what do you do with step flashing at the peak of the roof? I mean how do you finish it, bend it over the peak, or just stop at the final coarse of shingles?
Sorry to say, but I think I will have more questions as time goes on. Thank You for taking the time to answer these quetions and all the information in your videos they are all a big help!

Shannon

Re: Connecting a wall, and step flashing

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:34 pm

You can use adhesive and screws/nails to att h that wall to the t1-11.
As for the flashing that will only work for a short while before it starts to leak. That flashing really needs to be behind the t1-11.
I would remove the t1-11 and install blocking between the studs following the slope of the roof so that you can install the flashing to that, then the t1-11 can be cut and re-installed over the flashing .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

woodsy

Post by woodsy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:59 am

Thanks for your reply Shannon, but removing t1-11 is to involved, and really isn't an option. After reading your reply I am thinking of cutting a shallow groove in the t1-11 following the contour of the flashing. Then placing some sort of z, or j, channel in the groove to act as a rain gutter attaching with construction adhesive. Now I really don't think this is the best solution as far as what channel to use or how to attach it, but once I look at some options this may work. I don't like cutting into the t1-11 but I don't see any other option to stop water from going down the siding. Let me know if this has any potential, if not, I will scrap the idea.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:44 am

That is better then just butting up to it and trying to keep it sealed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:59 am

I prefer a z-bar flashing over the top edge of the step flashing. You can cut the siding about 1/2" above the step flash and just pull the edge of the siding out to install the z-bar. The z-bar should have at least 2" flanges.

Don't forget to pull any nails in the path of the saw and relocate any nails that will perforate the z-bar within an inch of the step.
If you've found our videos, forum, and answers helpful, consider making a small donation to help us keep the lights on and the help flowing. 8-)

woodsy

Post by woodsy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:57 am

I am going to go with the z bar flashing, I have added it to the list of materials to order. Thanks for all your help!