Service Panel Room

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Steelworker

Service Panel Room

Post by Steelworker » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 am

I have built a small room around my service panel and will be insulating the 2 walls . My question is should I put 6 mil vapour barrier on these 2 walls as well ? If yes what side inside or outside of the wall.

Thanks Kerry
IMG_2092.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG (205.73 KiB) Viewed 167 times
IMG_2091.JPG
IMG_2091.JPG (205.27 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Shannon

Re: Service Panel Room

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:53 am

No I would insulate and vapour the exterior walls. The vapour barrrier goes on just before the drywall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Steelworker

Post by Steelworker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks Shannon but the purpose of building this room was because of the difficulty of insulating the exterior walls in this area. It was recommended that i build a room and insulate the 2 walls . There is a plumbing drain and clean out. So my intention is to insulate the exterior wall as much as I can and insulate the 2 walls on the room I built. What I was wondering should I use 6 mil on these 2 walls and if yes what side ??
Thanks Kerry

jslateramerica

Post by jslateramerica » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:12 pm

I have the same problem - a panel mounted on hardboard and pinned to the concrete external wall with 2 x four by twos. I cannot move the board out to insulate behind and place vapor barrier behind without a mess of extending countless wired connections. So I plan to a framed cupboard (like the one shown above) around it and insulate and barrier the frame thereby sealing an inner envelope without disturbing the panel. Any problem with that approach?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:37 pm

Personally, I don't think I'd worry about a vapor barrier in that small area. The area is going to be warmer than the concrete, but cooler than the rest of the space, so condensation is going to happen, if you vapor barrier it the closet is simply going to hold that moisture, something you really don't want/need around an electrical panel. Also, unless you install a fully sealed door you're still going to have a massive gap in your vapor barrier even if you used one.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:37 pm
Personally, I don't think I'd worry about a vapor barrier in that small area. The area is going to be warmer than the concrete, but cooler than the rest of the space, so condensation is going to happen, if you vapor barrier it the closet is simply going to hold that moisture, something you really don't want/need around an electrical panel. Also, unless you install a fully sealed door you're still going to have a massive gap in your vapor barrier even if you used one.

Yah, this is why I was saying the exterior walls are the ones that need to be done to do this right.There may be difficulties working around things on the exterior but you will never get a seal at all going this route.You have the door seal issue, non insulated door, can not get a continuous air/vapour barrier through the ceiling area that will function right and moisture issues for sure in this entire room down the road.
If you really can't seal the exterior then you could treat this like a cool room. Air vapour barrier what you can and seal back to the concrete wall to prevent the rest of the wall cavity from leaking into this room. Insulate the ceiling and walls you have created but install no Air vapour barrier. May need to weather strip the door if it is too cold and drafty. If you have any exposed sprayfoam or rigid foam it should be covered with drywall or a fire retardant material like Roxul insulation before completion.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 am

It's disappointing when electrical contractors bolt the panel to a board directly to the foundation walls. It would be much better if they at least framed some sort of small interior wall to inset the panel so that a proper insulation and vapor barrier could be installed behind it in the future.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 am

Aaron wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 am
It's disappointing when electrical contractors bolt the panel to a board directly to the foundation walls. It would be much better if they at least framed some sort of small interior wall to inset the panel so that a proper insulation and vapor barrier could be installed behind it in the future.
This is one of the many shortcomings of the code system, they regulate so much inconsequential crap to the Nth degree, but don't require "future" needs of the home to be taken into account at the time of construction. Why isn't a vapor barrier and insulated framing support of service panels located in a basement required at time of construction? Why are service panels even allowed in the basement?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Steelworker

Post by Steelworker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:15 am

Thank-you all!