pvc edge banding for cabinets?

Ask your kitchen related question here
taylorm

pvc edge banding for cabinets?

Post by taylorm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:33 pm

have heard you talk about using pvc edge banding for cabinets.
just wondering is this standard edge banding or is abs banding what you usually get in
big box stores. If this is the case where can you get pvc edge banding
thanks

A. Spruce

Re: pvc edge banding for cabinets?

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 pm

I have not heard of pvc edge banding. Is there a reason to use this over traditional banding?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 pm

There are a few different materials used for edge banding and PVC is one of them. Olon is one manufacture that supplied many distributors. If there is a cabinet parts distributor in your area I would start there and then a google search for your area after that.If you just want basic black/white almond that sort of things the box stores or local lumber retailers will have it, not likely in a PVC but a melamine type product.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Yeah I've heard of melamine, but not PVC.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:35 pm

I'm curious as to how it's attached. With melamine it is a hot melt glue, hold it in place put an iron on it to melt the glue, remove the iron, glue cools, edge band in place. Wouldn't pvc would have a tendency to melt with this process.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:35 pm
I'm curious as to how it's attached. With melamine it is a hot melt glue, hold it in place put an iron on it to melt the glue, remove the iron, glue cools, edge band in place. Wouldn't pvc would have a tendency to melt with this process.
I have had some trouble with the odd roll or maybe brand but usually the fix is to use a thin towel (like dish towel) between the iron and edging to prevent melting. But usually they work pretty much the same as any melamine type.I pretty much use my iron on the hottest setting and away I go.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 pm

So the real question is, do you have your own iron or do you borrow the wife's iron when you're applying edge band? :| :lol:

I usually use the rag/tshirt between the iron and band to keep the iron from leaving scuff marks behind, or when it gets glue on it, it kind of smears and bakes the glue onto the band, making it difficult to clean later.

Oh, and I have my own iron because I know better than to piss off the women folk! :mrgreen: The one thing I do borrow, on occasion, is her hair dryer to speed along drywall patch repairs.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 pm

I have two of my own and really I could use hers because...she never uses it anyways. Don't tell her I said that.

I have found that my irons leave a slight grey smudge on the melamine tapes but i simply wipe with some lacquer thinner and its gone. I think it is actually just because I have used it so much the bottom shoe is worn and leaves a skid? Other then that I never get glue smears? I also regularly wipe the surface on my pant leg as the day goes on to keep it dust free and clean as possible.