Tricky stairs

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
christoff

Tricky stairs

Post by christoff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:18 am

Hello, I was asked to quote on interior stair treads and risers, the client is wanting me to install the typical treads and risers which is fine. The problem is there are 2 kite steps.My question is how to finish them, I am also installing some hardwood that would work if they wanted me to match the floor by doing the stairs in the hardwood. Would I have to get a piece of veneered plywood and cut it to shape and use bullnose on the kite steps or does someone have another solution? Thanks

Shannon

Re: Tricky stairs

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:24 am

Kite Steps? Is this a winder? Steps that are pie shaped?
I have never finished this type in a wood finish but you could use plywood or maybe actually cut the hardwood flooring into wedges and re cut the groove in them. Will be tough figuring out the taper though?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

christoff

Post by christoff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:32 am

Hi Shannon, yes they are pie shaped just different wording, and yes I want to cut the hardwood to fit but they want a solid piece so I guess it will be a piece of veneered plywood cut to shape and a pice of bull nosing

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 am

Personally, I wouldn't use plywood because the veneer is too thin and you cannot guarantee that there won't be voids behind the veneer/within the plywood that will cause you headaches later. You're also not going to exactly match the color to the floor, partly due to using different wood type, partly due to not being able to match the stain color well. I would explain this to the owners AND also explain that the hardwood floor has segments in it because of it's size, these two steps are going to be the same way for the same reason. Further, things are complicated beyond worth when you start taking into account trim moldings and having to duplicate factory joints to attach tread nosings.

As for duplicating the tread shape, that's easily done with some kraft paper cut to fit and transferred to the work piece.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.