Dryer Receptacle Conversion

Ask your electrical related questions here
Captscotty

Dryer Receptacle Conversion

Post by Captscotty » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Want to use dryer outlet (three prong) for household items like electric drill and other tools (removing dryer from this area). Can I use an adapter plug or do I need to convert the receptacle to 110v ? This is current receptacle:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (183.31 KiB) Viewed 220 times

Shannon

Re: Dryer Receptacle Conversion

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:09 pm

There is likely an adapter that will plug in to that and give you a 120V plug? I know there is one that fits RV site fixtures for camping.

If not you could remove the 2 pole breaker currently used and install two 20Amp breakers with joined handles. You can then use a duplex plug at the dryer position and remove the tab on the hot side of the receptacle so that you can run a split receptacle . Neutral tab does not get removed. So at the panel you can leave the neutral and ground alone and install the red wire to one breaker and black breaker to the other. At the plug the neutral gets hooked to neutral side on either screw and the ground to the ground screw and the black to one hot screw and red to the other.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Captscotty

Post by Captscotty » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 pm

After researching adapters I did find that replacing the three prong with a four prong dryer receptacle, there is an available adapter that has a female side that looks like a normal household outlet. I suppose I could do that, but better to replace the breakers as you say. Thanks

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:18 pm

Captscotty wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 pm
Want to use dryer outlet (three prong) for household items like electric drill and other tools (removing dryer from this area). Can I use an adapter plug or do I need to convert the receptacle to 110v ? This is current receptacle:

image.jpeg
That receptacle has 2 hots and NO neutral !!
You can't use it for 120V.

It is run in EMT, so if you can fish in a white 'neutral' from your breaker panel, you could install a 120V receptacle (wirenutting one of the hots) and replacing the 30 double pole to a 15 or 20A single pole breaker.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 am

emtnut wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:18 pm
Captscotty wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 pm

image.jpeg
That receptacle has 2 hots and NO neutral !!
You can't use it for 120V.

It is run in EMT, so if you can fish in a white 'neutral' from your breaker panel, you could install a 120V receptacle (wirenutting one of the hots) and replacing the 30 double pole to a 15 or 20A single pole breaker.
Wow, yes you are correct I actually never noticed the lack of neutral there.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 am

Well that's what I get for posting past my bedtime :o

It probably has 2 hots, and a neutral, ... just no ground wire. :oops:

Turn off the breaker, and take a look at it to be sure. You will have a couple of options available to you depending on what's in there :mrgreen:

Captscotty

Post by Captscotty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 am

Excellent idea. It will be tomorrow to open it...out of town now.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Actually those old dryer receptacles had two hots and a ground. No neutral.

But wrap some white tape on each end of just one of the hots and you could reidentify it as a neutral.

Pigtail pieces of #14 or #12 on each end of the heavy gauge wire to connect to a normal 15A or 20A receptacle and breaker, respectively.

Very easy and safe mod.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:41 pm

Aaron wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:48 pm
Actually those old dryer receptacles had two hots and a ground. No neutral.

But wrap some white tape on each end of just one of the hots and you could reidentify it as a neutral.

Pigtail pieces of #14 or #12 on each end of the heavy gauge wire to connect to a normal 15A or 20A receptacle and breaker, respectively.

Very easy and safe mod.
I agree, and that was the jist of my first post.

I seconded guessed it this morning, because of the EMT. It's possible it has a neutral, and grounded the box via the conduit.

OP is going to open it up so we can see what's in there ... that will clear it up !

Captscotty

Post by Captscotty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 am

Hey gentlemen. Inside are two hots and a ground. No neutral.

This sits just a couple feet from the breaker box with a straight pipe inbetween. So, I'll remove the 8ga wires, pull a fresh black and white, keep the ground and R&R the 30a breaker for a 20a and duplex receptacle.

If I put two duplex plugs in place of the dryer plug, I can run them from one 20a breaker I suppose. How do I wire them with just one black, white and ground coming into the box? Sorry for the elementary question. Just want to be sure.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 am

You can have 2 receptacles on the one circuit, but if you're planning on 2 high current loads, now would be the time to run 2 circuits.
Take a look at Shannons video, if you have any questions after viewing, let us know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEMzxV05ZA

If you decide on 2 separate circuits, I can post the wiring for you.