Shower in low exposed beam ceiling basement

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Graham

Shower in low exposed beam ceiling basement

Post by Graham » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:55 pm

I'm renovating my basement. ..ceilings are low and I plan on leaving joists exposed but insulating between them and drywallng the cavity. My sewer line is above ground. I've figured out the sink and toilet..all good but ideally a shower would be great. I've seen online shower heads placed between ceiling joists or perhaps hand held shower. Any thoughts or ideas on this? Ceiling height is just under 7ft below joists and about 7ft 6 between joists. Thanks

Shannon

Re: Shower in low exposed beam ceiling basement

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:56 pm

Sorry but first why are you insulating the ceiling joist cavities?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:22 pm

The average shower head is set at around 5'6" to 6' from the floor, so if you've got a 7' ceiling you'll have no issues. I would recommend that you waterproof the ceiling and/or the joist bay, regardless of where the showerhead is located.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Graham

Post by Graham » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Any tips on how to waterproof? Cavities are being insulated purely for noise

Graham

Post by Graham » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks guys as always

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 pm

If you are going to have open joist bays in the shower it will be a real PITA to water proof. A good quality kitchen and bath paint is really all that makes sense in that case. Unless Spruce has some kind of magic trick for that type of situation??
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:29 pm

I wouldn't leave the bays bare, I would wrap with drywall and paint, which will give the water resistant surface you're looking for. I also assume that you'd only be leaving one bay open for head room and closing the adjoining bays, so simply lining the one bay with drywall isn't going to be a big deal.

Another option may be to double up the joists on either side of the one over the shower, cut the center joist out over the shower. You will then cut a joist to go between the doubled joists and carry the free ends of the cut out joist. You will need to support the floor where the joist was removed. It sounds like you've got 2x6 joists, so I'd be inclined to lay several 2x4 flat against the bottom of the floor to carry the floor and prevent it from becoming spongy. You can then insulate with 1-1/2" foam and drywall the cavity giving you non-claustrophobic headroom that you're looking for.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.