Clean old newspaper print block

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
RPD

Clean old newspaper print block

Post by RPD » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:21 pm

My client is a retired journalism professor who received this old newspaper print block as a gift. The metal (unknown type; though the backing might be lead) is slightly corroded and bumpy. He'd like to (1) clean it up, that is get rid of the corrosion, then (2) put some kind of finish on it to keep it nice so he can mount it. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_4193.jpg
IMG_4193.jpg (107.77 KiB) Viewed 153 times

Shannon

Re: Clean old newspaper print block

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:32 am

Boy you got me I have no idea? Hopefully someone else here would know?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Clean old newspaper print block

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:53 pm

I'd start with a good cleaning and then assess what needs to happen from there. Print ink is usually oil based, so I'd likely go after it with mineral spirits and a soft brush, like a tooth brush or parts brush. Work slow and carefully so that you don't mar the item since you don't know what it is made of, my guess is aluminum or tin because lead would be too soft for a printing block.

You might look for a local printer's group for further restoration tips. Look for book clubs for collectors (not readers), printers will be an offshoot from there. Where do you look for book clubs, start at your local library, biblophiles tend to hang out in the same groups, your library should know of one.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.