Load bearing wall?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Private

Load bearing wall?

Post by Private » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Good day,

Quick question. I have watched your video exposing a load bearing wall and still I find myself wondering if the wall I want to take down is load bearing.

The picture that I have included is the attic
And the wall I want to remove sits below the vertical beams in the picture. The wall runs the same way the verticals do.
My first thought is that yes it would be load bearing because these verticals would carry the weight of the roof through the wall I want to remove.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Attachments
9CEBF986-43F2-42B4-AB89-7105FB9D2979.jpeg
9CEBF986-43F2-42B4-AB89-7105FB9D2979.jpeg (136.91 KiB) Viewed 218 times

Shannon

Re: Load bearing wall?

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:38 pm

The video was " how to remove a non load bearing wall".
If these are manufactured trusses with pressed metal plates at the wood joints and the total span is under 25' then you are likely ok. The king posts you see here can spread weight to the bottom cord and in most cases do not need a supporting wall. You are best to have a local engineer or experienced contractor have a look to be 100% sure.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Load bearing wall?

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 pm

I agree 100% with Shannon, those look like manufactured trusses, which means any wall under them is not likely load bearing. If you were to dig down through the insulation to where the truss meets the wall below, are they attached to the wall plate or free floating. If they are attached, how securely? A load bearing wall would be securely attached to the truss to prevent movement. A non-load bearing wall would maybe have a tack to a truss here and there or no attachment at all. A local contractor should be able to verify this and shouldn't cost you much to have them take a look for you.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.