Replacing garage floor.

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
bonshates

Replacing garage floor.

Post by bonshates » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi All,
I have a garage that was built in the mid 70's and the floor needs to be replaced as it has severe cracking. Some of the cracks are 3 inches across. One of the corners has sunk a few inches and the man door doesn't open all the way. The area I live in (Regina) that has a lot of clay that shrinks and expands over time depending on moisture content. The concrete was not built with rebar, thus the large cracks. I am sure there were a lot of corners cut when this was built. I have had mud jack and foam jack guys out to look at it and neither of them would touch it. I have thought of jacking up the garage a few feet and replacing the concrete. Just wondering if anyone else might have a better/easier method of fixing this issue or even suggestions on how to do the jacking.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

A. Spruce

Re: Replacing garage floor.

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 pm

Is the foundation part of the slab or do you have separate foundation walls with a slab poured inside of them?

If the slab is part of the foundation, then replacement of the whole thing is probably your best option, expensive, but best option.

If the slab is independent of the foundation, the pull the slab and have it repoured.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Replacing garage floor.

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:18 pm

bonshates wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 pm
Hi All,
I have a garage that was built in the mid 70's and the floor needs to be replaced as it has severe cracking. Some of the cracks are 3 inches across. One of the corners has sunk a few inches and the man door doesn't open all the way. The area I live in (Regina) that has a lot of clay that shrinks and expands over time depending on moisture content. The concrete was not built with rebar, thus the large cracks. I am sure there were a lot of corners cut when this was built. I have had mud jack and foam jack guys out to look at it and neither of them would touch it. I have thought of jacking up the garage a few feet and replacing the concrete. Just wondering if anyone else might have a better/easier method of fixing this issue or even suggestions on how to do the jacking.

Thanks in advance,
Sean
Ahh the city that rhymes with fun 😉.

I will assume because you mentioned lifting the garage that this is a thickened edge slab. If lifting the garage is a possibility then that is one option. Another option is selling the garage and having the new owner move it away if that is possible for your situation. If that is possible you can start over right from scratch, if the budget allows
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon