Subfloor tile (Barricade) installation on Basement floor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Friedfrog

Subfloor tile (Barricade) installation on Basement floor

Post by Friedfrog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Hello Friends,
My basement refinishing work is getting close to done. I am about to install flooring. House is about 50 years old and basement used to have carpets which I ripped it off. Generally this basement is dry. During our renovation work, there was 2 sq ft concrete floor (about 18" inch deep) dug out close to foundation wall to check foundation footing thickness according to our engineer. Concrete Slab is about 1 and half inch thick. We filled it back and pour concrete mix and leveled it back to rest of the floor height.
Our basement is not so big. Its about 500 sq ft living space. So We decided to install BARRICADE subfloor panel and put 12 mm laminate on top. Overall floor seems to be pretty flat but whole floor slopes towards floor drain which is close to the basement stairs.
My question is, do I need to further level the floor prior to install subfloor panel or I can install on exiting floor which will be slope towards the drain?
My second question is, the spot where we dug out the concrete floor which I mention earlier, I see some moister condensation around the joints where new concrete pour meet the old slab. Do I need to seal it somehow before installing subfloor panel?
I will try to upload some pictures for moister spot and area slope towards the drain.
Thank you guys.
John
Attachments
20180310_230618.jpg
20180310_230618.jpg (62 KiB) Viewed 124 times
20180310_230558.jpg
20180310_230558.jpg (91.97 KiB) Viewed 124 times
20180310_230437.jpg
20180310_230437.jpg (79.94 KiB) Viewed 124 times

Shannon

Re: Subfloor tile (Barricade) installation on Basement floor

Post by Shannon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:58 pm

I personally would say that you are ok to continue. You could try and v notch the joint out and use hydronic cement to seal it better
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Friedfrog

Post by Friedfrog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:10 am

Shannon wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:58 pm
I personally would say that you are ok to continue. You could try and v notch the joint out and use hydronic cement to seal it better
How about the floor being slope towards the drain issue? Should I shim it as much as I can to level it?
As per as drain outlet goes, is there anything I could to do to raise drain outlet to floor level?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 am

No you are better to still have the drain at a low point incase you have a water issue.If the slope is gradual enough you should not have to shim, let the flooring gradually slope. Some shimming may be necessary to reduce rocking or bounce in the Barricade tiles as you install them
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Friedfrog

Post by Friedfrog » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 am
No you are better to still have the drain at a low point incase you have a water issue.If the slope is gradual enough you should not have to shim, let the flooring gradually slope. Some shimming may be necessary to reduce rocking or bounce in the Barricade tiles as you install them
Thanks Shannon. Started barricade installation. Finished installing two rooms. But run into issues when I came up to doorways where room doors meet in the same hallway. It seems I started installing them once direction from the corner in one room and another direction corner from other room. Now I find myself having two grove side facing each other as they are coming out of the room to meet at the hallway. I figured out how the create tongue using table saw by setting proper depth using existing tongue side as a measure and saw guide. Now I need to figure out how to create grove so that I can have less waste.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:25 am

Using a table saw will be the safest. Cut the glove with the tile standing on edge and the blade raised to the right depth. It may take two passes to get the groove the right size. A router with the proper bit would do it safely as well.

Friedfrog

Post by Friedfrog » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Shannon wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:25 am
Using a table saw will be the safest. Cut the glove with the tile standing on edge and the blade raised to the right depth. It may take two passes to get the groove the right size. A router with the proper bit would do it safely as well.
Thanks for your tips. I did exactly what you said except that I did everything with my table saw by adjusting the depth and couple passes. Finishing up the subflooring with virtually no waste of subfloor tile!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:32 am

glad to hear your task was successful!