Saving used tiles...

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
Karimbo

Saving used tiles...

Post by Karimbo » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:35 am

Hello Shannon,

My question may seem strange but you'll understand once I've explained...

I have a bathroom floor that has tiles on the floor. I've installed them myself and I was pretty proud of my job.

But a small part of the floor has been damaged by water and the tiles have been plucked off the floor.

My problem is the following:
1) I do not want to tear up the whole floor (way too much work) and install new tiles since it is only a small portion of it that is damaged.
2) I cannot find the matching tiles on the market because they seem to be discontinued.
3) My best choice: reinstall the old but intact tiles that were plucked off the floor. The only problem is: they have old concrete on them.

I would like to "clean" off the concrete, but I am afraid of breaking the tiles. If they break, I WILL be forced to redo the whole floor.

Do you have any suggestions on how to strip away old concrete from used tiles so they can be reused? I thought about grinding away the concrete with a grinder but I wonder if it might break the tiles. Are ceramic tiles (not porcelain) strong enough to withstand the stress of a grinder? If so, what grinding disc should I use? Do you have a better idea? It will be very welcomed.

Thanks a lot! And keep up the good work!

Shannon

Re: Saving used tiles...

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 am

If you were able to: pluck" a few off of the floor without breaking them they are not likely installed well. But if you want to re-install ,your idea of grinding the mortar off may be the only real option. I would use a segmented concrete blade. What ever you do there is the risk of breakage.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 am

Grinding is probably the best option so as not to break the tile. I'd use a diamond blade, which will cut the materials off rather than trying to use an abrasive which will cause a whole lot more vibration and chance for breakage.

Carefully clamp the tile to your work surface, keeping it fully supported, DO NOT try to hold the tile and cut/grind on it at the same time, this is a recipe for disaster!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Karimbo

Post by Karimbo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:23 am

Thanks a lot, both of you!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:53 am

make sure you wear eye protection and a good dust mask, things are about to get messy!
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.