Garage Door Side Gaps

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
vickying

Garage Door Side Gaps

Post by vickying » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi. I am having trouble sealing up the bottom corners of my garage door to keep water out. Our garage is actually a carport that was outfitted with a garage door. We have a good seal on the bottom of the garage door using a Snirt Stopper but due to how the door was installed, there are two small gaps at the bottom of the door on both ends. I've attached a couple of pictures that might be helpful.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for a type of product that may be helpful in filling in those gaps? When it rains we have problems with water coming in and we are hoping to reduce this.

The previous owner of our home had put down what seemed to be some sort of circular, pvc tubing/weather stripping. They had glued this to the floor of the garage. Would something like that be our only option? You can see the outline of the old stripping in the photo taken when the door us up. It had been painted red and some of the old paint is still on the floor.

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
IMG_3773.jpg
IMG_3773.jpg (79.66 KiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_3772.jpg
IMG_3772.jpg (67.43 KiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_3771.jpg
IMG_3771.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_3770.jpg
IMG_3770.jpg (59.81 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Shannon

Re: Garage Door Side Gaps

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:31 pm

I think I would remove the old weather strips that are painted and replace with new ones that go right to the floor.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:42 pm

I think you're going to have a hard time because roll up doors are not actually designed to be water tight, so there's no way to truly seal them. If the bottom door seal is hardened or shrunk, replace it. You can add some rubber seal to the bottom of the door jambs as well, but as I said, these things are not designed to be water tight, so if you have standing water outside the door, you're going to have water in the garage as well.

What can be done to divert water outside of the door? If the driveway slopes towards the door, can you install a drain across the front of the door? At the very least, create a trough to drain the water to one side. If you have downspouts dumping, relocate them or install a drain system for them to flow into. Anything you can do to reduce the water at the door will certainly reduce any seepage you will get through/under/around the door.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Spruce is correct these doors don’t really seal completely but yours has an excessive amount of daylight IMO. The side weather strips are cut short by the look of it and also because they are painted are not likely as flexible as they should be.
If you get water coming under the door because of poor slope outside then one of those garage door dams for under the door may help?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

vickying

Post by vickying » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback.

Just to clarify : The old seal was what had been painted red. It is gone now, only spray over paint on the concrete is left behind. The previous owner of our home had glued what we think was the foam you put around outdoor pipes (it was the same type of feel as a pool noodle) to the bottom of the garage door and then there had been the painted on pvc on the ground which was glued to the floor. This was how the previous owner was forming a seal.

We pulled the old foam off the door and the pvc (painted red) tube off the floor and installed a product called Snirt Stopper to the bottom of the garage door. Since it attaches to the bottom of the door, so now there are little bits on the sides of the door where the light in the pictures is coming through and the water. I can only imagine that this is due to the fact that this wasn't built initially as a garage, but was first a car port. Is that correct to think? Would they be set up differently than a normal garage door? Meaning, could there be some additional space between where the door ends and the track begins? Sorry if this is a stupid question. This is the first home I've owned and I don't really know how different a traditional garage could look/be set up.

Unfortunately, we could not put one of the floor door dams down because there is a slight drop in height from one concrete slab to another in the center of our garage/carport floor. We couldn't figure out how to install one of those without the floor being completely level and leaving gaps. That's why we went with the Snirt Stopper product.

From your feedback, it sounds like our best bet is to try and keep water from backing up near our door on the outside. Our door backs up to an ally and there is currently a small dam built into the road to divert the water but we live in Arizona and when we get the heavy monsoon storms the amount of water sometimes overwhelms it. I'll check and see about some sort of drain device.

Another thought I had - is there some sort of product we could place into the far corners of the door where the light comes in that would mold into place and form the extra barrier? Something like a silicone?

Thank you for your help!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:09 pm

vickying wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:52 pm
Is that correct to think? Would they be set up differently than a normal garage door?
Nope! It doesn't matter what the original purpose of the structure was, the door was installed as all roll-up doors are installed, and every door I've ever seen has gaps at the corners.

I would recommend doing everything you can do on the outside to divert water and stop it from pooling against the door.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:29 pm

Ok now I see why there s so much light coming in on the corners.
You may be able to create a bit of a dam using silicone or something like it without interfering with the door. I have never tried it but I’m sure you could try. Form a bead bigger then what you need and place a piece of plastic wrap or something like that over it. Then close the door and leave it to set up. The concrete will need to be dry and pretty clean. The plastic wrap should keep the silicone from sticking to the door until it sets up. I have never tried this but it may work???

vickying

Post by vickying » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:00 pm

I'll give it a shot. Thank you so much, everyone, for your thoughts on this. I appreciate it!