Where to caulk if at all on clapboard siding?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Capetownkg

Where to caulk if at all on clapboard siding?

Post by Capetownkg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:10 am

First off just wanted to say thank you for the videos and guidance you and your team put out Shannon.

I need to stain my whole house this spring. It's clapboard siding and I definitely feel a little overwhelmed as there are boards that need to be replaced and just the size of the job in general. I have looked online and it seems that some people say you should caulk certain joints and others disagree. My question is the need to caulk where the boards meet the corner board. Some boards fit together then others and some have some fairly large gaps. What caulk would be used that can be stained or do I need a colored caulk?
20180312_081833_1520857518632.jpg
20180312_081833_1520857518632.jpg (101.42 KiB) Viewed 133 times

And whoever put these windows in didn't obtain a tight fit to the trim. Should I caulk the gap from the window to trim? And the gaps from trim to siding? I also need to install a drip cap over all the windows as that wasn't done.
20180312_081824_1520857519445.jpg
20180312_081824_1520857519445.jpg (81.07 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Last but not least my wife would love a blue house with all the trim being white. How possible would that be? Would it require multiple coats? Thanks for the advice.

A. Spruce

Re: Where to caulk if at all on clapboard siding?

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 am

I would definitely caulk all vertical butt joints, so where the siding meets the trim at the corners for sure. Can't tell around the windows, but probably should caulk the trim to the siding all the way around, regardless of being a butt joint or not. Yes, you can caulk the window/trim joint, just DO NOT block the weep holes in the bottom of the window frame.

Changing stain colors is pretty difficult, changing paint colors is easy. Stains are transparent, meaning you can see through them to some degree, so they're not good at covering other colors or things your trying to hide. Paint, on the other hand, is a surface coating that does cover whatever you put it over. Because your current color is red I would recommend a good coat of primer first, one to block the original color, two to provide a good bonding surface for your paint. Bulls Eye 123 blue label or red label should do the trick nicely.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Capetownkg

Post by Capetownkg » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:27 am

There is still plenty of spaces where the siding can breathe?

If I choose to stay with the red, is there a specific type of caulk to use that can be stained? Or do I need to find a colored caulk?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:35 am

The siding can breathe at every lap joint.

It will depend on the stain you use. Stains typically come in transparent and semi-transparent, the former will not hide anything, the latter does have some hide capability, but not great. There might be some heavier bodied stains that act more like a paint, this should be able to cover caulking, but you'd probably want to test the product you choose on a caulking sample before you caulk the entire house.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:33 pm

A solid color stain should be able to cover most any caulking, but a quick test area would confirm that before you do the entire job.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon