New Bathroom Wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
CRAWFORD

New Bathroom Wiring

Post by CRAWFORD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:27 pm

I've watched enough electrical videos to be dangerous. I am rewiring a mobile home and I
have all my circuits identified, however, I just want to make sure before I complete my circuits.

Can I run my power source through an electrical switch before taking the line to a bathroom
GFCI outlet.

Thanks

emtnut

Re: New Bathroom Wiring

Post by emtnut » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:28 pm

CRAWFORD wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:27 pm
I've watched enough electrical videos to be dangerous. I am rewiring a mobile home and I
have all my circuits identified, however, I just want to make sure before I complete my circuits.

Can I run my power source through an electrical switch before taking the line to a bathroom
GFCI outlet.

Thanks
Are you wondering if you can use the switchbox as a junction box for a separate circuit ?
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

CRAWFORD

Post by CRAWFORD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:22 pm

No, I was just wondering if i could go through the switch box or should i go to the GFCI electrical outlet first.
I'm running a circuit to the bathroom where i need to feed a light and the GFCI outlet.
Does that make sense? Since this is my first wiring job, maybe the answer is simply "of course you can".

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Do you want your light and GFCI to be on the same circuit? You can run the line to either the box with the switch first, or to the box with the GFCI first. Either way.

I recommend the light not be protected by the GFCI though. Because if the GFCI trips you will be in the dark and can't see how to reset it.

CRAWFORD

Post by CRAWFORD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Yes to the question, running light and GFCI on same circuit to keep the number of Circuits down.
Great, if I can go to the switch box first. Makes a lot of sense not to protect the light by the GFCI.

I'm just figuring out how to wire my electrical boxes and what I can connect to. (very basic)

So, for my bathroom circuit, I'm running my power line to a switch box. From there, I'm going to power over to the GFCI outlet. Also, I'm running a line from the switch box (via a split switch to control my fan and light separately. (using 12/3 wire) - Sound Good?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Yep, that sounds like a fine plan. But I actually might run power to the GFCI box first, then to the switch. Just to keep the wiring congestion down, because going to the switch first you would have a pretty crowded switch box with a lot of splices. Unless you used an extra large box.

GFCI receptacles have really nice backwire terminals, you just strip the wire straight and insert it into the hole and tighten the screw. You can insert two hots and two neutrals under one screw, so you won't even need to use wire nuts except for the grounds. So I would use the "line" side of the GFCI only, leave the yellow sticker on.

Yep, 12/3 to light and fan if they're together. Otherwise 12/2 to each.

Also, you don't need a 20A circuit in your bathroom, you can just have 15A and use 14/2 instead.

CRAWFORD

Post by CRAWFORD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Thanks Aaron, my mind will be completely wired tonight.