Kitchen Wiring

Ask your electrical related questions here
CRAWFORD

Kitchen Wiring

Post by CRAWFORD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Another easy basic question.

I am rewiring my mobile home. I have ran 12/2 wire to the Kitchen area. Can you put 2 GFCI
electrical plugs in line? (Probably - if I use pigtails)? My wife thought she would like a light above the kitchen sink. Which makes sense. Can I cut into that circuit anywhere to add a switch and a light?

Thanks

emtnut

Re: Kitchen Wiring

Post by emtnut » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Your location would be helpful, there are differences between CEC and NEC codes.

Basically you can have 2 20A GFCIs on the same circuit, although you still require a second circuit (under CEC)
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

CRAWFORD

Post by CRAWFORD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:12 pm

New York state- emtnut, you mentioned I still need a second circuit. I also put a 15 amp circuit in the kitchen. Is that what you ment? Thanks

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 pm

You need at least two separate 20A kitchen circuits, each of them AFCI protected at the panel and GFCI receptacles. You can wire one additional 20A receptacle beyond each GFCI so you have 4 total.

(Safety for all the electric countertop appliances.)

All your kitchen lighting can just be powered off your regular general lighting circuit.

I'm not totally sure that mobile homes are exempt from the rules of stick-built homes.

CRAWFORD

Post by CRAWFORD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:39 pm

Interesting Aaron, what am I going to do with all these electrical outlet? lol

May have to break code, because I have no more room in my Panel.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Let me research NEC for mobile homes. I'll return with an answer shortly.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Okay, Article 550 in the NEC spells out all electrical code for Mobile Homes, and 550.12 is branch circuits. Unfortunately the 2017 NEC does show that you need two or more 20 amp small-appliance circuits:

(B) Small Appliances. In kitchens, pantries, dining rooms, and breakfast rooms, two or more 20-ampere small-appliance circuits, in addition to the number of circuits required elsewhere in this section, shall be provided for all receptacle outlets required by 550.13(D) in these rooms. Such circuits shall have no other outlets.

Exception No. 1: Receptacle outlets installed solely for the electrical (4) supply and support of an electric clock in any the rooms specified in 550.12(B) shall be permitted.

Exception No. 2: Receptacle outlets installed to provide power for supplemental equipment and lighting on gas-fired ranges, ovens, or counter-mounted cooking units shall be permitted.

Exception No. 3: A single receptacle for refrigeration equipment shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

Countertop receptacle outlets installed in the kitchen shall be supplied by not less than two small-appliance circuit branch circuits, either or both of which shall be permitted to supply receptacle outlets in the kitchen and other locations specified in 550.12(B).

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:05 pm

I guess what I might do in your situation is go ahead and wire the extra boxes in your kitchen for those receptacles as though you have the extra 20A breaker, then just stub out some length of cable in your panel so someday in the future you or a future owner can bring it up to code. Just put blank covers on those extra receptacle boxes.

CRAWFORD

Post by CRAWFORD » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Good idea. I thought I sent a note saying thank you for researching the information, but I
don't see it. Might be duplicate but that is OK. First time using this chat exchange. Thanks again, I'll
sleep on all this information. lol

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:24 pm

You should call your municipality and find out which code version you are on.
Not all states (and municipalities) are on the same code cycle.
I'm not too familiar with NEC, so even if you are on the 2014NEC cycle it may or may not change the kitchen req's.
Aaron should be able to help you out on that.
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~