How to cover this garage floor?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
amitt

How to cover this garage floor?

Post by amitt » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi,
I live in a 50 years old house and the garage floor is pretty ugly, I would like to paint it or cover it in the most cost effctive way (it's 400 sqft ) so this.may get expensive if I get a 2$ per sqft floor.

There are 3 problems that I see that may prevent me from just rolling some garage paint on it:

1) there is an old green paint on it, although I cant peel it when I scrub it which may indicate that whatever was weak was peeled over the years, I'm worried it may cause the new layer of paint to be unstable. Is this still a concern after all these years that this green paint didn't peel?

2) there are rough areas where you can see the little rocks in the cement, it is just worn from traffic more than other areas near the walls and I'm worried that the paint will look bad on these rough areas.
Is there a way to create a new flat looking layer of cement over these areas? With what type of cement?

3) there are some significant cracks, I would appreciate recommendations for material that can seal these cracks.

Thanks !

Amitt
Attachments
4.png
4.png (430.39 KiB) Viewed 75 times
3.png
3.png (470.6 KiB) Viewed 75 times
2.png
2.png (455.27 KiB) Viewed 75 times
1.png
1.png (377.79 KiB) Viewed 75 times

A. Spruce

Re: How to cover this garage floor?

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Do you know what the black stuff is?

Assuming that you're just dealing with old paint and dirt, I'd pressure wash and acid etch the floor in prep for the new paint. Visit a local paint dealer, not a big box, an actual paint dealer, and discuss what products they have for garage floors and how to use them, more than likely it will be an epoxy product.

As for the cracks, I'd go with a concrete epoxy that will adhere well or a paintable elastomeric caulk. With either of these you can dust the top of the wet caulk with sand to help blend in the caulk, it won't make it disappear, but it will take away the slick sheen that it would otherwise have.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

amitt

Post by amitt » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Thanks Spruce,

Do you have an idea on what product to use to flatten the rough surface where the cement is very worn sand the rocks are shown?

I don't know what the black stuff is, it's a little thick, it may be the mastic that was used to attached the tiles that are all over the house.
It may contain some toxic materials so I don't want to sand it, what does it look like to you?

Thanks,
Amitt

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:55 pm

If it's mastic, it's probably something called "cut-back" which is kind of a tar based glue of sorts. It may or may not have asbestos in it, quite frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. To remove it you can get a product called "cut-back remover", a flooring shop that caters to contractors will carry it. I'd recommend chipping up a good sized sample and taking it with you to the flooring shop, they should be able to confirm what it is and the product best suited for it's removal.

I don't think you will need to worry about the roughness, whatever paint you use should help smooth that out a bit, even if you have to double coat the rough areas. The reality is, once you park a car or two in there and stack it up with the general load of junk found in most garages, you're not going to notice the texture of the floor anyway, plus, it's a garage, does it really need to be baby's butt smooth?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.