Installing a window over furring strips

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
wildbobby

Installing a window over furring strips

Post by wildbobby » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello I ordered new windows with nailing strips and j trim integrated, my question i am also going to be installing new canexel siding that requires furring strips. How do i install the window as i cant install directly on the house sheathing as the siding wont line up with the window j-trim. Do i install furring around the window opening and then install the window on top of the furring. If so how do i ensure the house wrap installed properly to prevent any water leakage. thanks

Shannon

Re: Window install help needed

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 am

Yes you need to use the same furring material around the openings. I would caulk it to the wall sheeting as well. Then after the windows installed use membrane strips to seal the nail fin to the furring and seal it back to the wall sheeting as well.
This video will give you the idea of how to use the membrane.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttTTi-hNZc
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

wildbobby

Re: Installing a window over furring strips

Post by wildbobby » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 am

Great thank-you I figure as much, but wanted to make sure. Also love your videos you explain very well and I like the speed you take to show the job properly.

Shannon

Re: Installing a window over furring strips

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Thanks and good luck
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon