Window tiled into shower...how to replace?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
hockeymom19

Window tiled into shower...how to replace?

Post by hockeymom19 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:12 am

Our home was built in 2001. We need new siding and new windows. Deciding on replacement/new construction is difficult. However, one huge problem is a walk in shower with a window tiled into the wall. I have talked to the tile place , the contractor (who has no contract yet)He seems unconcerned, which makes me concerned. Because it is MY shower! I watched all of your videos I could find. We cannot take off the molding, which looks like it makes replacement windows a bad idea. Can someone help or give me ideas? THX

A. Spruce

Re: Window tiled into shower...how to replace?

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 pm

It's hard to say without seeing what you have and what you're replacing it with, but tile shouldn't be much of an issue because the window was there first, the tile is simply butted against it and the joint caulked. So as long as the fin depth (that is the distance from the back of the fin to the inside face of the frame ) on the new window is the same or less than the existing one, the tile won't be a problem. If the fin depth is deeper, then the tile will either need to be cut back or replaced around the window, again, neither of which is that big a deal.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:35 pm

I’m surprised your 17 yr old windows need replacing?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Windows and siding both! I thought this odd myself.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.