Will there be issues if I go a long time without taping and mudding new drywall?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
bakingbread86

Will there be issues if I go a long time without taping and mudding new drywall?

Post by bakingbread86 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:41 pm

I hope I'm not making too many topics! If I am just tell me to shut up, lol.

I want to go ahead and put new drywall up, but it'll be a while before I can mud and tape it. Will that be okay or will it cause issues if i wait a couple of weeks before mudding and taping?

A. Spruce

Re: Will there be issues if I go a long time without taping and mudding new drywall?

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Nope, you can go years without taping with no issues. Once you get out 5+ years, the surface dries out and can want to peel when the moisture of the joint compound hits it. It will also discolor which becomes much like a stain and want to bleed through paint (at 5+ years ). But, a few weeks or months, no worries.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

bakingbread86

Re: Will there be issues if I go a long time without taping and mudding new drywall?

Post by bakingbread86 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Thank you Spruce!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 pm

No problem. 8-)

bakingbread86

Post by bakingbread86 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:49 pm

I have another question!

Taking some measurements, one of the walls can be done by hanging 2 4 x 12 drywall sheets(it's a small room) horizontally. How can I pull this off as just one man? lol. I have no one to help me hold the sheets up!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Oh, now you're just getting on our nerves! :roll: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

IMHO, working with 12' rock by yourself just isn't worth it, 8' is way more than a handful for one guy, the time and hassle of using 12' just isn't worth the little extra time you'll spend taping. Double check your prices too, 12' rock may actually be more expensive per square foot than 8', just because your local big box doesn't sell as much of it, so they charge more.

Regardless of the length of your rock, get yourself a panel carrier, it will make carrying and maneuvering the rock into the room MUCH easier. Oh, that's another negative of 12' rock, shoehorning it into the room. When the framing is bare, drywall can be fed through stud bays, working within a confined space, longer lengths become infinitely more difficult to deal with, but I digress. Get yourself a panel carrier for starters.
1a - Mark the stud locations along the ceiling and floor.
1b - Install a ledger stick on the wall at 48-1/4" from the drywalled ceiling, this will give you something to set the sheetrock onto to support it while you work it into place.
2 - Then install a similar stick on the ceiling 3/4" away from the wall framing. When you lift the sheet into place, rest the top edge against the framing and slide it up behind the sticker on the ceiling and rest it on the ledger you attached to the wall. Now you will be able to let go of the sheet without it falling on you.
3 - From here you can adjust it from end to end if necessary and lift it up with shims until it's tight to the ceiling.
4 - Install 5 screws per stud across the 4' width of the sheet.
5 - Remember those marks you made along the ceiling and floor? This will guide you either by eyeball or you can snap a chalk line, where the studs are as you screw your sheets into place. This tip works with 8' rock as well. ;) :mrgreen:

Another tip for you, if you will be installing the entire length "captive", meaning tight to either end wall, then cut the sheet 1/2" short of the total length and install it before you install the shorter end walls, the gap will allow you to place the sheet with minimal trouble, while the end walls will cover the gap and give you a good joint for taping.

bakingbread86

Post by bakingbread86 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Once again Spruce is the MVP!

I use this site and videos all the time for home projects and I really appreciate you guys answering the dumb questions from people such as myself with kindness. :)

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:34 pm

bakingbread86 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:43 pm
Once again Spruce is the MVP!

I use this site and videos all the time for home projects and I really appreciate you guys answering the dumb questions from people such as myself with kindness. :)
We're glad to help, and there are no dumb questions when they come from people with a willingness to learn and a determination to figure stuff out for themselves. 8-)

Let us know how your project goes, pix are great too. As always, if we can help, just ask. 8-)

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:37 am

Great to hear from you, good luck on your project
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon