Rewire or just put in a j-box

Ask your electrical related questions here
Jmaclicious

Rewire or just put in a j-box

Post by Jmaclicious » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:11 pm

So I am trying to put my kitchen fridge on its own circuit as it’s currently on the same 20a circuit as 3 counter outlets... however the wiring is older cloth style loomex, is it appropriate to just put a junction box in the basement and run new 12-2 from the box to panel to its own 20a circuit, or would it be smarter to pull new from the outlet? I just am unsure about how it’s fastened behind the wall and didn’t want to open up a whole can of worms. And I’ll also have to do the same for the kitchen outlets to the panel for its own circuit as well. TIA!

Aaron

Re: Rewire or just put in a j-box

Post by Aaron » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:45 pm

You could just put the fridge on its own dedicated 15A circuit, that is plenty. I suspect you'd have to run a new line? Not sure what you’re asking.

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:06 am

Aaron wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:45 pm
You could just put the fridge on its own dedicated 15A circuit, that is plenty. I suspect you'd have to run a new line? Not sure what you’re asking.
Would it be dumb to just add a junction box in my basement and run 12/2 wire to a new 20 a circuit? or would you rather rewire it to the outlet as 14/2 and a 15a circuit? It looks like its on a 20a circuit with the kitchen counter outlets right now, the less walls I have to patch the better.. I already screwed up one section of my kitchen where i "thought" the wire was according to the hole i seen in the basement and where the outlet was... the person that wired it completely trolled me now i have a bunch of holes to patch :p :mrgreen:

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:31 am

Holy jumpin' JMac ! I had to read that 8 times, and I 'think' I know what you mean now :lol:

You're considering using the old portion of wiring (from recept to basement) and then splice a new cable from there to the panel ..... vs, just running a whole new circuit ??

That old cloth cable will be brittle, and they are tricky to resplice, so I'd rather go with the new cable.

It shouldn't be that hard to remove the receptacle, and fish in your cable from the basement ... you can either try using the cable as a pull rope, or just drill a hole beside where it is and fish up to the recept.

Couple of pics may help too ;)
~~ This space for rent ... apply within :mrgreen: ~~

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:52 am

Yeah I don't understand what you're saying about "adding a junction box". If you want to replace old cabling, just run new cable from the panel to the first receptacle you want on the new cable.

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:45 pm

sorry for the confusion, it was very late when i wrote that lol. So in the basement I had a power wire coming from electrical panel to a junction point, which then split 2 ways, one wire went to an old laundry room outlet which then went up and fed 1 kitchen counter outlet, and then the other wire went up to my fridge, and then as I opened up the fridge outlet I found another wire connected to the receptacle and came to realize it also connects my 2 other kitchen outlets.. I originally thought the laundry room outlet fed all the counter outlets and the fridge would be on its own circuit... so I had to patch up my holes i made figuring all this out and now im upset that 3 kitchen outlets + fridge are all on its own 20a circuit..... damn house... I guess at this point my only other option is to use the current fridge receptacle as a junction box with a cover plate on it, and the cut open the wall and mount a new receptacle box and run new wire in order to make the fridge on its own circuit?

Since the walls are weird thickness.. roughly 3/4-7/8 of some drywall plaster type material, would it be acceptable to use something like this if I were to just cut a hole and fish a new wire up for the fridge outlet https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rewo ... 08040.html or are they not very reliable in holding well.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:51 am

That's nothin !! When I moved into my place, the Kitchen,nook,fridge,micro,washing machine,living and dining room, and 1 bedroom, all on the first floor ... 1 15A circuit :lol:
We rarely popped the breaker, but only used one appliance at a time :mrgreen:
They really didn't use much power back then !

The box you showed would probably work well, I usually use this style https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rewo ... 06199.html
It gives a good tight fit.

I depends on how the house was constructed, and basement access ... but you should be able to do this without making any holes in the drywall/plaster.
Let us know if you need any tips on doing that.

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:40 pm

emtnut wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:51 am
That's nothin !! When I moved into my place, the Kitchen,nook,fridge,micro,washing machine,living and dining room, and 1 bedroom, all on the first floor ... 1 15A circuit :lol:
We rarely popped the breaker, but only used one appliance at a time :mrgreen:
They really didn't use much power back then !

The box you showed would probably work well, I usually use this style https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rewo ... 06199.html
It gives a good tight fit.

I depends on how the house was constructed, and basement access ... but you should be able to do this without making any holes in the drywall/plaster.
Let us know if you need any tips on doing that.
Haha wow thanks for the help ! How many cables are we allowed to feed through the electrical panel knock outs here in Canada? I can’t seem to find anything in my province about it.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 pm

For any device boxes (recept and lighting boxes), it's one cable per internal clamp.

For your panel, you can have 2 cables in the clamp ... **as long as the clamp is listed for 2 cables**. Most clamps are, but make sure you see it written on the box.

Jmaclicious

Post by Jmaclicious » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:26 pm

emtnut wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 pm
For any device boxes (recept and lighting boxes), it's one cable per internal clamp.

For your panel, you can have 2 cables in the clamp ... **as long as the clamp is listed for 2 cables**. Most clamps are, but make sure you see it written on the box.

Awesome thank you, and what about wires underneath the ground screw? I notice some in my panel have 3 under it and others have 1, I am also missing about 7 screws in the locations of the ground lint lol I guess I’ll have to pick some up if RONA or Home Depot carry the proper size.

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Jmaclicious wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:26 pm
emtnut wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Awesome thank you, and what about wires underneath the ground screw? I notice some in my panel have 3 under it and others have 1, I am also missing about 7 screws in the locations of the ground lint lol I guess I’ll have to pick some up if RONA or Home Depot carry the proper size.
The panel directory will actually tell you how many ground wires you can put on the lug.
Most panels are 2, but some are 3.

If HD or Rona don't have them, just stop by an electrical supply.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:21 pm

Yeah it varies by panel manufacturer. Most electricians seem to take the liberty of putting up to three grounds under a terminal screw in the panel.

Some panels will allow up to three grounds but only one neutral, like Siemens panels (I believe).