Pressure relief valve leaking slightly

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
RCGA

Pressure relief valve leaking slightly

Post by RCGA » Tue May 08, 2018 7:03 pm

I had a pressure relief valve installed in my home two days ago. I've called the plumber back who did the work twice now and it still hasn't resolved the issue.

The problem is that the pressure relief valve is leaking very slightly along the teflon tape. It was a drip, now it just gets sorta moist after a few minutes. I've even tried to tighten it myself but it won't budge (my channellocks keep slipping).

Any ideas what I should do?

A. Spruce

Re: Pressure relief valve leaking slightly

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 08, 2018 9:07 pm

It's either not tight enough or there is debris or thread damage preventing a good seal. I'd separate the joint again, inspect all threads, both the male and female sides, reapply the teflon tape AND put a layer of thread sealant on there too, the combination of the two should fill any small gaps. Tighten snug plus a little more, then keep tightening until the leak stops. You will need to hold both sides of the joint while tightening or you'll twist off the copper pipe. The best tools for the job are pipe wrenches, if you don't have those, then vice grips used EXTREMELY carefully should give you the grip you're looking for. Channel locks are good for many things, but not overtightening stuff, and regular wrenches won't grip the rounded faces of the fittings.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 08, 2018 9:23 pm

I’ll bet if you leave it a couple more days it stops leaking.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

RCGA

Post by RCGA » Wed May 09, 2018 5:10 am

Okay I have two pipe clamps that really grip

How should I do this? One on the copper adapter below the teflon and one on that first ring of brass?

And am I twisting the brass clockwise?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed May 09, 2018 7:23 am

yes, brass clockwise.You will likely have to slightly loosen the top side of that brass fitting, tighten the bottom half and then again tighten the top. So when working with the bottom half you are on the copper and brass and when working on the top half you are on brass and brass
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

RCGA

Post by RCGA » Wed May 09, 2018 5:15 pm

I gave it another half turn with the pipe wrench. I don't think I can physically turn it anymore without risking damage to the copper pipe below (even while using two wrenches)

Fingers crossed this works!