Sliding screen door

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Volusiacrazy

Sliding screen door

Post by Volusiacrazy » Wed May 09, 2018 4:52 am

Has anyone ever seen a patio door that only has track on the bottom for the sliding screen door? I have no idea what brand of door it is because the guy I got it from removed any and all markings for whatever reason. He claimed something about the warranty and at the time it sounded reasonable to me but I don't know. :?: :?:

Shannon

Re: Sliding screen door

Post by Shannon » Wed May 09, 2018 7:22 am

How does the door stay on with only one track?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Volusiacrazy

Post by Volusiacrazy » Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 am

I don't know, that's what I'm trying to find out. I bought the door used and it didn't have a sliding screen with it and I would like to put one on and like I said there is only one track at the bottom.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed May 09, 2018 10:23 am

Take pics of the top and bottom tracks.

Usually, there is a rib in the bottom track for the rollers of the screen door, the top track will have a slot that the top of the screen rides in. If you do not have these two features, then your door was not designed for a screen door.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Volusiacrazy

Post by Volusiacrazy » Thu May 10, 2018 12:02 pm

here are some pics.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 145 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 145 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.31 KiB) Viewed 145 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu May 10, 2018 12:30 pm

That first tall rib (from the outside edge) on the threshold is where the screen rollers ride. If you follow the recessed area at the end of the track up the jambs and across the top of the doors, this is where the screen will be located. How deep is this recess across the top track, as this is what's going to keep the top of the screen in place.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 am

Its been a while since I seen a patio door and kinda forget how it looks but i think what you have is correct?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Volusiacrazy

Post by Volusiacrazy » Sun May 20, 2018 7:28 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:30 pm
That first tall rib (from the outside edge) on the threshold is where the screen rollers ride. If you follow the recessed area at the end of the track up the jambs and across the top of the doors, this is where the screen will be located. How deep is this recess across the top track, as this is what's going to keep the top of the screen in place.
It looks to be 3/8" deep.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun May 20, 2018 10:40 am

Then you probably have enough space there for a door. The screen door itself is adjustable, it will depend on the door how this is accomplished, but usually there are adjustment screws on the bottom rollers at least, some have a sleeve on the top edge of the door or rollers that can be adjusted to set the height.

Volusiacrazy

Post by Volusiacrazy » Tue May 22, 2018 3:51 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:40 am
Then you probably have enough space there for a door. The screen door itself is adjustable, it will depend on the door how this is accomplished, but usually there are adjustment screws on the bottom rollers at least, some have a sleeve on the top edge of the door or rollers that can be adjusted to set the height.
Thanks for the replies. I had bought a universal screen at Lowe's but couldn't get it to work.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue May 22, 2018 6:59 am

to bad you could not get it to work. You could try going to a glass shop and seeing if they make custom screen panels and if they can make one to fit?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 22, 2018 11:41 am

Unfortunately, the universal screens that I've experienced bind and flex, making them very hard to use.

If you know the brand of the door, find a distributor of that brand and buy the screen there, you're likely going to find it fits very differently than a universal type screen.