New vinyl siding over windows/doors

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
gto49

New vinyl siding over windows/doors

Post by gto49 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:13 am

Hi, me again. :)

I'm putting drip cap over the doors and windows today. There is only 3" between the top of the windows/doors that were built out, and the metal soffits. We had 1.5" styrofoam insulation added to the exterior and the existing windows replaced and built out.

I'm just thinking ahead on how to finish these with the drip cap/j-channel combination over the window/door frames, and with another j-channel against the soffit for the siding panel.

Is this enough space, or should I be doing something different?

Thanks for all the help!

Ron
Ron

gto49

Re: New vinyl siding over windows/doors

Post by gto49 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Oh yeah, I was going to ask about the j-channel that goes on top of the drip cap. The nailing strips on both the drip cap and j-channel don't line up. Do I have the j-channel right on top of the drip cap? Then I'm nailing through the upper section of the drip cap...and missing the nailing holes.
Ron

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 am

Ya your space should be ok The two J channels will cover most of that space likely around 2" is you will have a 2 to 2-1/2" strip of siding in there as well.
place the drip cap on with a couple nails and nail the J over it. The holes will not line up but you should have no problems. I typically nail my Drip and Js pretty tight anyways. the outside corners are a different story however, they need to be slightly loose so they can move downward. When hanging them i nail at the bottom and top of the top hole to keep them from moving upward into the soffit and to keep the top of the corner in place. The rest of the corner is nailed in centre of holes and loose ish like the siding.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

gto49

Post by gto49 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:30 am

Alrighty! Thanks again for the quick reply. It's been cold and windy here lately (well, except for the 30°C day on Sunday), so haven't got much accomplished. Good thing I can ask you all sorts of questions!!
Ron

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 11, 2018 11:08 pm

No problem Ron.
Weather has been chilly here again as well ,getting down to single digits at night
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon