Patio and Siding

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
hophead34

Patio and Siding

Post by hophead34 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:17 am

I'm having a new concrete patio installed in my back yard. I know that "best practice" is to have the patio poured against the concrete foundation but unfortunately with my yard there isn't enough foundation space to pour against and properly grade the patio away from the house. There also isn't enough overlap between the foundation and the wood siding to cut away siding to expose more foundation.

So that leave me pouring about an inch or two above my wood siding. I know that's a no-no, so after discussing with my contractor (and a call to my city building code office) we settled on wrapping the affected area of the siding with waterproof sill sealing tape...which would extend above the poured concrete and also wrap around/underneath the siding on the bottom edge.

I know it's not 100% idea but I'm curious if this should work or if there are other precautions I should be taking.

Shannon

Re: Patio and Siding

Post by Shannon » Fri May 11, 2018 8:21 am

That should work. You did what you can to protect the wood. I would trim off the tape after flush to top of pad and then seal that joint with a good silicone caulk like Big Stretch.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

hophead34

Post by hophead34 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:29 am

Great. Thanks for your advice!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri May 11, 2018 10:56 am

The biggest problem with pouring concrete against wood siding is that concrete wicks moisture, which is going to rot the siding. The sill tape (or metal flashing) will create an isolation barrier between the two, thus reducing the propensity for rot.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.