Basement bathroom

Ask your bathroom related questions here
Gisele

Basement bathroom

Post by Gisele » Sun May 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Hey Shannon, I am building a corner basement bathroom where the exterior earth is above grade. The interior wall (from the builder)consists of 1/6 ‘’ thick X 5ft-6’’ high black paper directly on the concrete followed by pink fiberglass batt insulation 4 to 5’’ thick to the inside face of the studs to which a paper (silver on one side and cardboard color on the other) approximately 1mm is stapled to the studs to which the drywall is attached. I will be replacing the drywall with the moisture resistant bathroom drywall.
Do you think my present insulation is adequate ( R value unknown) ? If not what would you recommend? We live in the suburbs of Montreal & this bungalow was built in 1985.
My second question is wether panels for the bathroom ceiling is ok from a moisture point of view?
Thanks a lot for your help. I’m a big fan!
Alvin

Shannon

Re: Basement bathroom

Post by Shannon » Sun May 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Your r value would be around 18-20 based on what you have explained. And that will be fine.
For the ceiling I am assuming that you are talking about suspended ceiling tiles? Check the manufactures recommendations for the specific panels you have chosen.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

graysherry24

Re: Basement bathroom

Post by graysherry24 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:35 am

I think it is adequate but remember if you are planning for walls then make sure that the heights of the wall is high.