How to install drywall in Basement Wall

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
hcpatel78

How to install drywall in Basement Wall

Post by hcpatel78 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:50 am

Hi Shannon,
You have guided me before and with your great help, I am able to finish my basement walls. I Have glued and anchored 2" XPS foam sheets to the concrete block wall in the basement. Then I framed with 2x4 and installed Roxul. Now I am at drywall stage. I have two walls (32' long) has a height of 97.5", Now my confusion starts here that standard drywall comes in 4x8 and 4x10. It's in the basement so I am planning to buy 4x8 drywall so it's easy to handle in tight stairs and corner. Now, How should I install drywall on the wall? If I install vertically then 1.5" gap left(97.5"-96") and if i install horizontally same 1.5" gap left. If I leave 0.5" gap from the concrete floor then still 1" gap needs to be fill. So could you please advise me on this situation? Please see attached picture.
Thank you ,
Hiren
Attachments
Wall Dimension.png
Wall Dimension.png (744.69 KiB) Viewed 178 times

A. Spruce

Re: How to install drywall in Basement Wall

Post by A. Spruce » Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm

You start by hanging the ceiling, which is typically 5/8" thick. You can probably get away with 1/2" because of your 16" joist spacing, this leaves you an inch difference. In all honesty, the floor gap isn't that big a deal because you will have some sort of floor covering and a baseboard. The drywall will overlap the bottom plate by 1/2", which is more than enough to seal it.

If you'd rather not have the pronounced gap at the floor, then install furring strips along the bottoms of the ceiling joists before you install the ceiling drywall. You do want some gap at the floor so that you can get your drywall panels in easily without having to carve on an edge to do so, size your furring strips accordingly. You only need to tack the furring into place, then use drywall screws/nails of sufficient length, which will be twice the thickness of the drywall and furring strip.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Generally drywall is hung horizontally but because you are using all 8 ‘ sheets I would hang them vertically if I avoid all of those butt joints. You will have all tapered edges which are easier to finish.
As for the gap that is very typical. I would hang the ceiling and then hang the walls. This will leave you with a 1” gap at floor. You don’t want the drywall right to the floor anyways to avoid water damage if you get a minor amount of moisture in the basement .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

hcpatel78

Post by hcpatel78 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm
You start by hanging the ceiling, which is typically 5/8" thick. You can probably get away with 1/2" because of your 16" joist spacing, this leaves you an inch difference. In all honesty, the floor gap isn't that big a deal because you will have some sort of floor covering and a baseboard. The drywall will overlap the bottom plate by 1/2", which is more than enough to seal it.

If you'd rather not have the pronounced gap at the floor, then install furring strips along the bottoms of the ceiling joists before you install the ceiling drywall. You do want some gap at the floor so that you can get your drywall panels in easily without having to carve on an edge to do so, size your furring strips accordingly. You only need to tack the furring into place, then use drywall screws/nails of sufficient length, which will be twice the thickness of the drywall and furring strip.
Thank you spruce, That's a great idea.

hcpatel78

Post by hcpatel78 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 am

Shannon wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:30 pm
Generally drywall is hung horizontally but because you are using all 8 ‘ sheets I would hang them vertically if I avoid all of those butt joints. You will have all tapered edges which are easier to finish.
As for the gap that is very typical. I would hang the ceiling and then hang the walls. This will leave you with a 1” gap at floor. You don’t want the drywall right to the floor anyways to avoid water damage if you get a minor amount of moisture in the basement .
Shannon,
I am not intended to install any ceiling for now, so that option is not good for me, but as "spruce" mentioned here, i will install some furring strips and hang dray wall vertically as you advised.
Thank you,
Hiren Patel