Electrical wiring confusion

Ask your electrical related questions here
rkrk

Electrical wiring confusion

Post by rkrk » Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi,

I live in Newyork, USA. I am watching your videos regularly for my home improvements. Thank you for explaining everything clearly. I am trying to install a ceiling lamp holder where i have rough in for ceiling fan with light. So when i open cap to install the lamp holder i am seeing 4 wires (black, red, white and copper).
As per my online search knowledge i know only about black which is hot, white which is neutral and copper is ground. I do not know about red wire. I know i have two switches for the rough in one for light and another for fan. Now i want to install only light fixture. Please suggest me how to connect those wires properly.

Thank you.

Aaron

Re: Electrical wiring confusion

Post by Aaron » Mon May 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Red is a hot wire, also, just like the black. A light and fan each would share the white neutral, and the bare copper ground. Typically the black is the "first" hot, and usually the light. Red is the "second", usually the fan. So if you have no plans for a fan right now, you could just put a small wire nut at the end of the red wire and disregard it for now. Your light would just use the black, white, and ground.

rkrk

Post by rkrk » Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 am

Thank you. I will try and let you know the result.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Tue May 15, 2018 9:45 am

If you get stuck, feel free to take some pictures of what you're working with and post them. That really helps us get a good idea what you're dealing with.

rkrk

Post by rkrk » Tue May 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks Aaron. It worked and as you said i have used wire nut for red and connected black and white wires to light fixture.