replace rotted window sill with pvc sill

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
lee3

replace rotted window sill with pvc sill

Post by lee3 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 pm

I HAVE WOOD WINDOW JAMS AND TRIM. TIRED OF PAINTING. WOULD LIKE THE BEST POSSIBLE INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO REMOVE THE OLD WOOD AND REPLACE THE SILL AND TRIM USING PVC

Shannon

Re: replace rotted window sill with pvc sill

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:08 pm

Could you post a picture of the exterior of the window in question
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

lee3

Post by lee3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:41 am

I WILL TRY THIS EVENING.NOT VERY COMPUTER LITERATE.

THANKS

lee3

Post by lee3 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Windows 1.jpg
Windows 1.jpg (68.73 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Windows 2.jpg
Windows 2.jpg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Windows 3.jpg
Windows 3.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Windows 4.jpg
Windows 4.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Windows 5.jpg
Windows 5.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 98 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Great job getting the pictures posted that really helps.
So I can see by the pictures that you do not have any significant rot yet so this actually gives you another option besides removing the brick mould and sill and replacing with PVC.
You could have the entire wood window exteriors cladded with metal. This is actually maybe a better option because then everything wood on the exterior would be covered and much more maintenance free. With the PVC option you would still have that wood transition between the PVC and the vinyl window boxes you have. Have you ever considered this?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

lee3

Post by lee3 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:30 am

Thanks. I have considered it but would really rather do the pvc. I changed out all of the windows a few years back with Pella replacement vinyl clad windows. on the very bottom of each window, there is an inch and a half filler piece that had to be tapped on. This filler piece gave the front the appearance of the window touching the front of the sill instead of the gap where it would not sit directly on the sill because of the angle. If there is a way to remove that filler, without taking out the window, I could make the transition between pvc and wood under the window and not exposed to the eye or the elements. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:51 am

Well by looking at the pictures the sill has a joint in it about an inch or so in front of the window so it should easily remove to that point as well as the brick mould. After that the jams are likely full pieces and it will make it tougher to replace back to the windows. What you could try is replacing the easy parts of brick mould and sill. Then after that you could remove the wood stops and cut PVC to replace them. After that cut another piece of PVC to sit on the exposed piece of wood sill up against the filler you added to the windows. Caulk all the joints and you should have no exposed wood.

lee3

Post by lee3 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:06 pm

THANK YOU. WILL GIVE IT A TRY AND POST PICS WHEN DONE