Poor window framing; worth probable damage to finished interior to correct?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
KeepTryin

Poor window framing; worth probable damage to finished interior to correct?

Post by KeepTryin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:08 pm

Hello,

This question is related to my question from May 15th, "Protect ground level sheathing & bottom plate", as it concerns the same exterior wall.
As you can see in the picture, it appears as though the current window replaced a larger window. Whomever did the work just tacked on to the older framing.
Bad-Window-Framing.jpg
Shoddy framing for window that replaced a larger window.
Bad-Window-Framing.jpg (83.72 KiB) Viewed 125 times
So, the current window does not have true trimmer studs that the window is fastened to that go from the bottom plate to the header. It does not have true king studs, attached to the trimmer studs, from the bottom plate to the top plate.

Ideally, I'd cut out what is there and properly frame around the window, but I am doubtful that I can do so without damaging the finished interior (kitchen in this case). I don't want to just add more studs, because this is just a 2x4 wall to begin with. I will be replacing all of that dirty insulation with Roxul, but I don't want to add more lumber (thermal bridges) unless I can take some away.
There is another window on that same wall that may actually be in worse shape, since the window replaces what was a garage door. I have a little more freedom in that case though, since I will be replacing the window (I'm not replacing the window in the picture) and the interior is less complicated (i.e., does not have kitchen counter and cabinets on it).

Is there a minimally risky way to remove some 2x4's from that wall and add proper king, trimmer, and cripple studs?

Thanks in advance.

Shannon

Re: Poor window framing; worth probable damage to finished interior to correct?

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:07 pm

So for the window in the old OH door location I would suspect they left the door header in and just framed in the opening for the window so it should be fine. That could be the case here as well if this was also an oH door opening? Also if this wall really has no load above the window you may be just fine with it as is? Whats up top?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

KeepTryin

Post by KeepTryin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks Shannon,

Regarding what is on top; we're talking about the gable end of a one story ranch. There is an attic crawl space above with duct-work, but no mechanicals.

Thanks again.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:51 pm

Most gable ends do not have much real weight on them especially if they are trusses.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

KeepTryin

Post by KeepTryin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Hello,
Now that more of the old exterior has been removed, I see some things that were not evident before.
As seen in the picture below,
[*]The double 2x6 that I thought was above the 5' wide window on the left has actually been cut down over the window--leaving double 2x4.
[*]The window on the right only has a double 2x4 as a header. Plus, as previously mentioned, the king and jack studs do not start at the sill plate and run alongside the edges of the windows.
Framing-Exposed.jpg
Better look at framing
Framing-Exposed.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Is there something that I could/should do to improve the situation?

Thanks in advance.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 am

Is it perfect? ...NO
Is it the way I would have done it ? ...NO
Will it work in that exact situation? ....Yes, from what I can tell from the picture.

The reason it should work for that exact situation is the fact that you have a gable directly above it and there will be little actual weight sitting on any one spot above the openings.Even I would leave this alone if I was not also going to redo drywall in those areas anyways.
Unless I am missing some info here it will be ok.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Yeah, I'd be inclined to leave it as well. Odds are, it is original to the house, and everything looks to have been there for a very long time, so unless you're seeing some issues somewhere that hasn't been discussed, I'd leave it alone.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.