I have no hot water

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
[email protected]

I have no hot water

Post by [email protected] » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Need advice, I have changed the anodes, I can feel that the pipes are hot but when I turn the faucets on in any room to the hot position I get no water. If I turn the faucets to the cold position I get plenty of cold water. What could be causing this? The hot water heater is heating the water but can not get the hot water out of the faucets, 2 year old water heater , started this yesterday.

Shannon

Re: I have no hot water

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:11 pm

Are you sure the valve on the cold water side of the heater did not get shut off? Should be a valve on the cold water plumbing going into the tank. If it is off you will have no pressure to empty hot water from tank.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Shannon, yes valve is on , pressure tank is running at about 40 psi. When i select hot water on any faucet , i here some rumbling in the pipes but yet no hot water. I flushed the water heater, very little sediment in there. Thanks for your reply any other suggestions?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:10 pm

Hmm do you maybe have an air lock in the pipes or tank? I would turn the water heater off for a few hours and let it cool down and then I would crack open the pressure relief valve and see what happens. Be careful the water could still be very hot.
Before trying that open the bottom drain valve and see if water comes out of there as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:11 pm

Did this problem start right after changing the anode or did it work for a few days after the changes then stop??

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:43 am

Hi Shannon, the problem started before changing the anodes, I have flushed the water heater, very little sediment, I have tried the pressure relief valve and had water come out of that. I am starting to think it may be a line coming out of the water heater somewhere that may be clogged? I also thought it may be the dip tube but now leaning towards a pipe clogged somewhere?

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 am

I just checked the hot water line coming out of water heater, no water or very little in the pipes so now I am back to thinking it is the water heater.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:58 am

I have never seen a water line get clogged to the point of no water at all will pass through . The dip tube will allow water to pass even if it is worn out and short so that should not be it.

You said you checked the "hot water line" what do you mean by that? The line coming out of the top of the heater?

You are positive the cold supply valve is on top the heater and there is not a second one further away from it that is off?

Did you try the drain on the bottom of the tank?