Shed Door Questions

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Blindfolded

Shed Door Questions

Post by Blindfolded » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:43 am

Good morning, everyone.

Brand new to these forums and have been watching a lot of videos on shed framing, however, for the life of me. I cannot figure out the rough framing to a 6x7 roll up door. Are the rough openings the same as a garage door? 3" inch wider than the door so when the jambs are added it's dead on? Same apply to the height? 1.5" taller until the 2x material is added? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Blindfolded

Shannon

Re: Shed Door Questions

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Its been a while since I have done one but I believe that is correct . Also the room above the opening is important as well so there is room for the rolled up door . I think for a 6-8" door you need 17" if I remember correctly.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Blindfolded

Post by Blindfolded » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:09 am

Shannon wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:02 pm
Its been a while since I have done one but I believe that is correct . Also the room above the opening is important as well so there is room for the rolled up door . I think for a 6-8" door you need 17" if I remember correctly.
Thank you, Shannon for the reply. Thankfully I'll have a 6/12 pitch and have plenty of room in the overhead.

saman

Post by saman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanks Shannon for your videos. I really enjoy watching them and learning. I am planning to follow your instruction and build a shed as soon as snow is gone. Your 6 x 8 size is perfect for me and I know exactly where I will put it in the back yard.

My only hesitation is the roll up door and its durability. I am storing our families bikes in the shed and we will be accessing it a couple of times a day for at least 7 months of the year. I am not sure if roll up door is the best option for our usage. Specially the only review here mentions the same issue:
https://www.rona.ca/en/roll-up-garage-door-60245073

So my question is this: Is it possible to stick to your original plan but use a different door style? What are my options here.

Thanks again for everything.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 pm

saman wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:03 pm
So my question is this: Is it possible to stick to your original plan but use a different door style? What are my options here.
You can install any kind of door you want, the only impact this will have on the shed is how the opening is framed for the door.

As for durability of a roll-up door like your in link, stick with a name brand company that backs their products with warranty, parts, and service. This may mean actually using a door company over a big box to supply the door.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:29 pm

I agree with Spruce here a quality door will make a difference . These doors are great if you need a large opening but for bikes and mowers and such a basic 36” exterior door would be fine and secure. You could also build many other types of wood doors.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:01 pm

I need to clarify something, I am not inferring that the door in the link is a low quality, I am not familiar with that brand, company, or style of door, so I can't speak specifically about it. My comment about door quality was a general comment, regardless of type of door, you always want to go with name brands and high quality, which will automatically reduce the likelihood of having issues with said door. This can be extended to nearly any product you buy, stick to name brands and good quality products and you will have a much happier life for it. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.