Sprinkler System

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Pavel

Sprinkler System

Post by Pavel » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:36 pm

You made a lot of youtube vids and I love them all and seen over 90% of them, but I could not find any on installing sprinkler system. I am considering installing a lawn sprinkler system, and for this I dont even know where to start. If you could produce on of those vids, if you could, would be awesome!

Shannon

Re: Sprinkler System

Post by Shannon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:27 pm

I actually need to install some in my back yard and that may end up being a video but it will not likely be this year unfortunately.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Sprinkler System

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:01 pm

The challenge is to design the system with sufficient overlap of the sprinklers and sufficient sprinklers to cover the area well.

1 - Do not mix flowerbeds with grass areas, keep them on separate circuits.
2 - It is better to have too few heads on a circuit than too many. Too many heads will drop your pressure too low and you won't have good overlap or coverage.
3 - Do a pressure test to know how many heads you can comfortably put on a circuit. You can do this by either buying a test gauge or by timing how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket, do the math to figure out the GPM. You will want to test your pressure at different times of the day, as neighborhood demand will alter your pressure/flow rate.
4 - Design your layout to spray AWAY from the house, you do not want sprinklers hitting the house, as this is a sure way to invite rot and mold issues.
5 - DO NOT mix sprinkler head types, choose one and use it throughout the circuit. Different styles of sprinkler have different pressure and flow demands, mixing them will cause problems with coverage and circuit pressure.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.