Copper to Pex - Low flow on exterior spigot

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
RCGA

Copper to Pex - Low flow on exterior spigot

Post by RCGA » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:16 am

Recently went from 1/2 copper to 1/2 pex

Also added a frost-free exterior spigot (was 1/2 copper old school style from the 70s)

The pressure at the faucet is around 62PSI and around 60 at the end of the 50ft hose. But the water flow is absolutely brutal. I could barely wash my car and my sprinkler hardly works. Everything else in my house in fine, though.

The hose is the same, sprinklers are the same. No idea what's going on. Are spigots known to reduce the flow?

Shannon

Re: Copper to Pex - Low flow on exterior spigot

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:28 am

I have a frost free on the exterior of my home and don't notice anything. Be sure your frost free does not have a reduction in diameter ,that is all I could see that would reduce water flow.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

RCGA

Post by RCGA » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:16 am

Shannon wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:28 am
I have a frost free on the exterior of my home and don't notice anything. Be sure your frost free does not have a reduction in diameter ,that is all I could see that would reduce water flow.
Any way to tell this?

I have this one, but in pex, not solder

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.non- ... 26913.html

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Hmmm , I have not seen one that was 1/4 turn. I wonder if that is the problem? Does not open enough to allow full flow?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm

I should clarify here, sometimes these type valves have a much smaller hole in the valve mechanism (ball) than the actual pipe size it is installed to thus reducing the flow greatly

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Shannon wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm
I should clarify here, sometimes these type valves have a much smaller hole in the valve mechanism (ball) than the actual pipe size it is installed to thus reducing the flow greatly
That was my guess as well. It should be simple enough to break the pex connection and have a look at the internal workings of the valve. If it is reduced, change it out to a full sized valve.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.