Cleaning a shingle roof

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
Leftside

Cleaning a shingle roof

Post by Leftside » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 am

So I have a shingle roof. It has mold on it from pines that fall and tend to collect on the roof before they are blown off. I've tried a mold cleaner called, wet and forget. It seemed to help but i think becaise the mold is pretty caked on and built up, there is still a lot of mold on the roof. I was going to use some more wet and forget, but I would like more immediate results.

What can I do? I read that pressure washing can compromise the shingles. Is this true? Is there anything else I can do to quickly remove the mold?

Thx in advance.

A. Spruce

Re: Cleaning a shingle roof

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Can you post a pic? Sounds like you're dealing with moss, not mold, different beasts require different methods to eradicate.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Leftside

Post by Leftside » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Here are some pics:

https://imgur.com/gallery/9YI4I1U

Hope the link works.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Hard to see from the pix.

Pressure washing will blow the mineral coating off the shingles, the mineral coating is what protects the shingle itself from the sun, so don't pressure wash them.

You could spot test a bleach solution or something like Clorox Clean Up, but I think bleach alone will suffice, and it will be cheaper than anything else. You need to use caution, as bleach will kill plants and animals, so dilute it to use it, spray it on a test area and wait 15 to 30 minutes, then rinse well with a garden hose.

The test is to confirm that it is not damaging the shingles and that the bleach is actually killing and removing the mold. If the test goes well, do a larger area.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:26 pm

I would use a 50/50 water bleach mix. Spray the roof and let sit for 10-20 mins and then rinse with garden hose. Like Spruce said test it first and also be sure it is not running down your exterior siding and bleaching it as you rinse.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

Leftside

Post by Leftside » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:12 am

Thanks. It looks worse from the street, but basically it looks like a black coating on the roof.

It does look like the wet and forget has worked a bit since the roof had darker black areas.

I'll finish my wet and forget and test out the bleach. Thanks again.

Leftside

Post by Leftside » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:23 pm

So this turned my rooof a darker brown copper color. Odd thing is, i sprayed in an inconspicuous corner and all went well. Sprayed more near the corner and it still looked good.

I decided to spray more areas. In the front of the house, I hit some moldy/mildewy spots and it turned copperish. I thought it was because it was wet so I left it. Lo and behold afrer rain it still remains a dark copper color.

It's not horrible, but it is annoying. I am not sure if it is the mildew changing color or if the roof changed. I guess time will tell. The back corner still looks like new. In fact other areas in the back that I sprayed look fine. Maybe different type of shingles, lighting? I dunno. I'll report back if anything changes. Sigh.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:56 pm

Seems strange but no going back now.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon