Cost effective way to strip paint off textured cedar shakes

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
jeb101

Cost effective way to strip paint off textured cedar shakes

Post by jeb101 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:00 am

I am looking for a cost effective way to strip paint off ~60 year old cedar shakes as the title says. They are in remarkably good shape if you look at small chips, and the cost of replacing it would be absolutely bonkers this day and age.

They are basically textured plywood sheets ~1/2 inch that overlap, with a hardwood tongue and groove underlay, cedar also by the looks of the oxidation (hard to tell I can only see below it).

Basically, I am looking for ways to put a new coat of paint or ideally stain if i can take it off, but the issue is that the shakes are all textured with vertical lines, so sanding would not be an option.

I heard of corn blasting it, but been told with the high price of corn lately, it's no longer a cheap solution.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

The end finish will likely be a good quality paint, or, if magic happens and it strips it way down, maybe a stain.

Cheers!

Shannon

Re: Cost effective way to strip paint off textured cedar shakes

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:16 am

Use a pressure washer to strip away any loose paint. You may get them to strip right down but I doubt it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

jeb101

Post by jeb101 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:44 am

Shannon wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:16 am
Use a pressure washer to strip away any loose paint. You may get them to strip right down but I doubt it.
I've been needing a reason to buy a pressure washer, this may just tip the scale... :lol:

Thanks!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:11 pm

jeb101 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:44 am
Shannon wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:16 am
I've been needing a reason to buy a pressure washer, this may just tip the scale... :lol:

Thanks!

perfect!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon