Deck Questions

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
LDO

Deck Questions

Post by LDO » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:44 am

Shannon,
I watched your building a deck video and it is a great tool that has helped me alot.

I have a few questions regarding the hand rails.

How tall (long) are the 4x4 posts used for the handrails?

How high up did you position the bottom rail?

You mentioned that you used a 2x6 that you ripped in half for the top and bottom rails, did you place the plastic caps for the round black bars on the cut side of the 2x6?

How wide is the opening (space between the 4x4 posts) for the opening for the stairs?

How far out from the deck did you position the 4x4 posts for the stairs?

thanks!

Shannon

Re: Deck Questions

Post by Shannon » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 pm

I can’t remember exactly what I used for a length on the posts . In my video the railing height must be 42” tall, spindles no more then 4” apart. These dimentions plus the length of spindles and and hand rail design pretty much help determine the post length and space between top of deck and bottom rail. The bottom space should be no more then 4” also.
The rails I cut had the spindle clips attached to the factory edges .
The positions of the stair posts all depend on stair dimensions that you require.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Agreed. US code is no more than 4" spacing on balusters and no more than 4" from bottom of baluster or bottom rail to the surface of the deck. US and Canada regulations are pretty darned close, but it never hurts to check with your local jurisdiction to verify what they want to see. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

LDO

Post by LDO » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to get as smart as I can on building this deck and I just started yesterday. I'm taking my time and hopefully, it will turn out as planned.