Insulating exterior walls

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
gsahlot

Insulating exterior walls

Post by gsahlot » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:16 am

In my 1960s house, I observed that there is no insulation in exterior walls. The exterior siding of the walls is stucco. Here in California, I am realizing that now a days the house is getting warmer, so I am thinking to insulate the exterior walls. I am thinking to just blow in the loose cellulose into the exterior walls from inside the house i.e. buy this (https://www.lowes.com/pd/GreenFiber-R60 ... er/3227256) and rent a blower and blow in the insulation by making holes at the top of the wall from inside the house.

I came across this blog and it seems to discourage that and suggests that blowing in insulation could actually cause rot, termite etc. in the wall.
http://bobyapp.com/blog/2009/06/myths-a ... ouse-walls

So I am confused if I should do it or not and just live with fan/AC turned on in my house. Any suggestions?

A. Spruce

Re: Insulating exterior walls

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:11 pm

I don't know that you really have the moisture issues in your location that colder/wetter or hot/humid climates have, so I don't know that I'd be all that worried about mold issues with the insulation.

I'm not a fan of cellulose because it compacts over time, which reduces its efficiency. I don't like the destruction that takes place to install it, particularly when done from the outside. Interior holes/patches will be easier to make disappear and won't create water infiltration points like exterior holes/patches do. Keep in mind that you have to locate every single stud bay, there's two holes per stud bay, and there's no guarantee that you'll get the cavity filled properly, even having a pro do the work.

One thing the author points out is the expense, how much is it going to cost you to do this haphazard process, and how much can you reasonably expect to save in monthly energy costs as a result? If you plan to live in the house until your dying day, then I'd be more inclined to remodel the house room by room, bare stud to insulate and update plumbing, electrical, etc. while the walls are open. If you'll be in the house any less than 10- 15 years, odds are, it won't be worth the expense or effort to much of anything other than adding insulation to the attic and sealing large gaps/air leaks throughout the house.

Something to consider, other than making the house habitable for the time you plan on being there, large expenses, such as insulating on the scale you're suggesting, and major remodel projects, such as kitchen or bath remodels or adding a swimming pool, are poor investments, you won't likely recoup your money at time of sale. If this is a "forever" house, then feel free to spend whatever you like, because it is no longer an investment, per se.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:21 pm

I agree with Spruce here and I would add that installing insulation from the exterior may be cheaper over all on the entire home unless you plan to remodel every room anyways. Kitchens and bathrooms get expensive fast. unless your home is brick you can fairly easily remove any other exterior finish and plywood and replace electrical and plumbing if needed as well as add insulation. In your area I think you use the paper backed insulation as a bit of a vapour barrier so it would be doable.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

gsahlot

Post by gsahlot » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Makes sense. Agree with both of you. Thanks!