Repairing a poorly laid tile floor

Ask your bathroom related questions here
DonElway

Repairing a poorly laid tile floor

Post by DonElway » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:30 pm

First off, love the site! I've used it for so many DIY projects.

That said I have an issue maybe you can help me with. When we bought our new home we basically gutted and remodeled the entire thing. My mother-in-law offered to do the bathroom floor tile since she "had experience" with it. Well it turns out she made some mistakes. I'm not sure what went wrong but I have tiles that are uneven, wobbly, and popping up. I attempted to do a spot repair with some flooring adhesive but since the since the floor underneath the tile isn't even it didn't work. My grout is cracking and you can hear some of the tiles move when you walk on them. Is there anyway to fix this without tearing up the whole floor and starting over? It's maybe 6-8 tiles that seem to have issues but the rest are fine.

Thank you

Shannon

Re: Repairing a poorly laid tile floor

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:27 pm

You can remove the bad tiles , clean the floor surface and then install new tiles. Without knowing the cause of the existing problems I can’t say for sure that this will end your troubles though.
If it was just a poor job of applying mortar on those few tiles you should have success but if it is inadequate subfloor strength issues you will likely be more loose tiles as time goes on.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:25 pm

I'd agree, you can probably "repair" it to some degree, but I think you will ultimately continue to have problems with it. You will be better off to pull it out completely and put it back properly.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

DonElway

Post by DonElway » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Thank you for the replies. I will try cleaning and laying some fresh mortar. If that doesn’t work I will know my next step.

ronan01

Post by ronan01 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 am

True repairing them temporarily won't help you for a long time. You should try to replace them and usage of high-quality mortar will be an added advantage. Take care :)