Insulated Vinyl Siding AND Foam Board...TOO Much?

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
MORyan

Insulated Vinyl Siding AND Foam Board...TOO Much?

Post by MORyan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 pm

There are a group of us renovating a 110 year old home. The house is on top of a hill AND next to a major road and High School...so it gets nailed by the weather (wind) and noise concerns are a major issue that we have and several of us are "VERY energy conscious". So we had been debating between installing "insulated vinyl siding" OR "Foam Board with regular siding"...the idea is to increase the R-value (as much as possible) and reduce sound. BUT, and here is the question, some in our group want to use BOTH ideas. So we would cover the house in foam board and THEN add insulated siding on top of the foam board. We have researched and talked to many people and everyone is all over the map on this one. Some love the idea, some think it is crazy. (We did find one article that actually encouraged it, but no articles discouraging it.) Some were concerned about moisture between the two foams, others loved the increased R-values. Has anyone done this? What were your results? We are looking for factual information...we want to solve this issue before it slows the project down. :)

Shannon

Re: Insulated Vinyl Siding AND Foam Board...TOO Much?

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:31 pm

I’m a big believer in foam under siding. I am not a believer in the siding with attached foam. I actually think it is kinda a joke as the r value is very minimal and IMO not worth what they charge for it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

dfairbairn

Post by dfairbairn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am

This is timely as we are renovating a 1958 stucco house and planning to put rigid board with hardie or vinyl siding over top. We are going to use furring strips for attachment. I believe Dow Corning makes a fairly high R-value foam cladding board called clad mate. Does anyone have experience doing this?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Yes. The foam board can be attached to the fitting strips and the joints taped if you want. You can install house wrap over or under the foam and the siding of your choosing at the end.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon