Foam insulation rigid boards in between common studs of ext. wall??

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
mneceiza

Foam insulation rigid boards in between common studs of ext. wall??

Post by mneceiza » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 am

Hi,

I have a 1901 bungalow that has never had any wall insulation. I am redoing one side of the house and I have removed all of the wood novelty siding. Next I am going to replace or sister the existing studs if need be. The studs are all 2x4. Then I am going to insulate the walls but I am not sure which insulation to use. The inside of the house has 3/4" T&G bead board and I would like to know if I can use the rigid foam boards in between the common wall stud cavities. I believe the insulation boards are 3/4" thick, so would I be able to use just one board or will I have to double up? (Even 4 boards on top of each other would only give me 3")... hmmm. Also, how many will give me an R value of 19? Also, would I install it with RightStuff foam along the edges? I've tried to find a video, but no luck for this particular scenario. I know I could go with batten (sp?) insulation, but I am trying to avoid using that.

Thanks for your input!!

Shannon

Re: Foam insulation rigid boards in between common studs of ext. wall??

Post by Shannon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:36 pm

If you want to use rigid foam you can for sure. You will have to deal with the electrical as well in the walls when installing the foam.
This is also a good time to update the wiring or add plugs where you need them.
Most XPS foams are R5 per inch so that gives you an idea of what you need. Us No the canned sprayfoam to seal everything as well is critical or you are not getting what you wanted.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon