Descaling sewer line

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
cvongugg

Descaling sewer line

Post by cvongugg » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:59 am

Hi, does anyone have experience with this? I had my sewer line scoped (camera) and it looks good overall but there is some "scale" on it, basically think of it as rust buildup that prevents a free flow of matter, think like you're looking in a cave. A plumber gave me an estimate of $2800 to descale the 50' section using a picote maxi miller, which is an amazing machine thought you could likely accomplish the same with a good drill and a fancy cable. Thanks.

A. Spruce

Re: Descaling sewer line

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:19 am

If you have cast iron waste lines, maybe a boring machine is the way to go, if you've got ABS lines, water jetting should be a fraction of the cost. Odds are the plumber that gave you the quote doesn't do jetting or wants to make more money. BTW, $2800 for a 50' run sounds about 10X as expensive as it should be.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Why were they scoping your lines--do you have drainage issues? If not, then you may not have anything to worry about.

If not, call around for alternate solutions and pricing. Always pays to fully research these issues as I am sure you're doing!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 pm

At $2800 I think they are selling you snake oil.
Unless you are having some kind of drainage issue that can not be resolved some other way it would never be worth it at that cost.
I will assume you have cast pipe. All cast pipe gets like that inside over years of service but generally that is not the real issue for clogged pipes.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon