The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
brentd

mobile home addition

Post by brentd » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Hello everyone. Im new to the site and always looking to learn and ask advice
I really enjoy the videos.
Anyway,
My brother has a mobile home and a 10x12 addition
The owners before him built a decent floor for the addition but then only built a proper framed wall about 2' high. Then it looks like they bought one of those pre fab shed packages and just set it on the framed wall and thats his addition.
My brother wants to insulate and vapor barrier but how are we supposed to do that when the walls have the 2x4 studs turned sideways making the walls only 1.5" deep?
I have a table saw so can I just cut 2x4's 2" wide and and attach them to the existing studs to make the walls 3.5" deep so we can insulate.
Also, the roof
He has no ceiling joists just the rafters attached at the top to each other.
Should we run 2x4 ceiling joists so we can insulate the roof? It has 16'' aluminum soffits.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
Brent

Shannon

Re: mobile home addition

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Yes adding depth to the walls like you suggested would be fine and will also allow enough depth for running electrical.
For the ceiling I would use 2x6s for added strength and less sagging. Also use insulation stops between the rafters to prevent insulation from blocking air circulation from the eaves to the roof vents.
Before doing any of this have a good look at the main floor structure to be sure it will support all of this properly. I have seen a few mobile home additions that started out as decks and were not made well enough.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

brentd

Re: mobile home addition

Post by brentd » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:05 am

Awesome
Thanks very much Shannon
Brent