Non destructive way to remove bonden ABS pipe

Discuss plumbing related issues here - pex, drains, etc.
jeb101

Non destructive way to remove bonden ABS pipe

Post by jeb101 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:10 am

I have a bit of a problem, when I was changing the plumbing to fix the dishwasher, I noticed that when he removed the normally screw in air vent to put in a barbed drain in it's place, it was glued down.

Due to how the plumbing was installed after the new cabinets were installed, I would need to take a big piece of the back out to access the copper drain that is being tapped into.

I understand that this glue is more of a solvent and less of a glue, so it chemically welds them vs actually gluing them. Would there be a way to remove it somehow? Heat? Cold?

Currently, I just have an open hole, so potential sewer gasses can come out, but at least the sink can drain.

My other thought was maybe a bandaid fix, simply cut the barbed fitting out, and somehow attach an extension to another screw in pipe to attach the vent. Obviously won't be very strong as it'll just be rigged, but it's not meant to handle any pressure more than a bit of air during draining.

Thoughts?

Cheers

A. Spruce

Re: Non destructive way to remove bonden ABS pipe

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:17 pm

There is no way to get plastic pipe joints apart without cutting, the pieces are fuse welded by the glue.

Can you post a pic of what you're working with? Use the attachment feature below the response box.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.