Directing Water in the Basement

The place for discussions that don't fit into any of the above categories
adam3161

Directing Water in the Basement

Post by adam3161 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Hello

So my wife and I are saving up for drain tile in our basement that we purchased about 8 months ago. Unfortunately the previous owner lied about the water in the basement, it seeps from under one of the walls.

In the mean time before we actually get the drain tile installed we are looking for a temporary solution. We currently have towels on the one wall that leaks. It is a very slow leak but enough for water to make it a few feet away from the wall in little streams. Towels have been working but occasionally the water navigates between the towels and makes its way to a wood wall about 10ft from the leak point.

I am looking for a clear low friction coating I can put on the floor just to direct the water to one location rather than which way it chooses for that day. That way I can direct the water to one location with something to soak it up. My theory that as long as the surface is at an angle it will take the path of least resistance down the low friction path.

Any ideas on products?

A. Spruce

Re: Directing Water in the Basement

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 pm

You can probably just use some string, anything should work, but the more water attractive it is, the better. Lay the string along the wall, then run a perpendicular string to wherever you want the collection point. Due to unevenness of the floor, you may have to try several different places to get the water to go where you want it.

Why will this work, the string will wick the water, creating a path of flow. If you've got a ball of kitchen twine (for trussing roasts and birds ), try that, if you've got a spool of nylon cord, use that.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Directing Water in the Basement

Post by Shannon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:04 pm

If the floor is bare concrete I would be temped to run some beads of silicone to direct it to some sponges? You have a pretty good idea now where the water usually wants to go and a nice 3/8" high bead should do it by the sounds of the slight seepage you have.
If Spruces idea does not work give mine a try.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon