Can I reuse ice and water shield when re roofing

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
howardPeterson

Can I reuse ice and water shield when re roofing

Post by howardPeterson » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi My name is howard, this is my first time using the forum.
I am going to replace my roof
My question is do I try to remove the existing Ice and water shield or just lay new Ice and water shield over the old.

A. Spruce

Re: stripping roof

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:33 pm

That's a good question. My only experience with I&W was using it on a wall above a roof in snow country. I remember it being peel and stick, and sticky it was. Once that stuff was in place there was no taking it off.

Ordinarily we recommend stripping a roof down to bare deck so that you can inspect the deck, valley's, soffits, and eaves for any kind of damage. You may not be able to do that with I&W. It will be interesting to see what Shannon has to say.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:59 pm

Interestingly enough I have never tripped a roof with I&W shield . I would suspect that it could be tough to pull up. I think if it is going to be tough I would be sure any damaged/lifted edges I would cut off or flatted out and then go right over it> I see no reason you couldn't unless you suspect some damage beneath it.
Let us know how it goes, I will be interested to hear back from you.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Shannon wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:59 pm
Interestingly enough I have never tripped a roof with I&W shield . I would suspect that it could be tough to pull up. I think if it is going to be tough I would be sure any damaged/lifted edges I would cut off or flatted out and then go right over it> I see no reason you couldn't unless you suspect some damage beneath it.
Let us know how it goes, I will be interested to hear back from you.
Would you simply install the new shingles over the old I&W, or would you apply a new layer of I&W?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Would you simply install the new shingles over the old I&W, or would you apply a new layer of I&W?
I would for sure install new layer over old.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon