exterior window replacement and sizing

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
queene

exterior window replacement and sizing

Post by queene » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:48 pm

a few related questions. am replacing large bedroom window from 1970s canadian bungalow. have a decent amount of home improvement experience. my window supplier is telling me when he makes his windows the inside height and width will be reduced slightly from my own window so when i go to set it in the rough opening i will have to reframe on all 4 sides with an extra 2x4 thus making the interior finishing more work. i do not get this concept. does this have something to do with modern insulation techniques or how brickmolds were installed over the window frames in the 70s? it will come with 2 inch brick mold and will be a fixed middle window with two casements like bookends. i am including pic of old window which had awning style.
thanks, :D
lori
20180807_103646.jpg
old bedroom window
20180807_103646.jpg (125.83 KiB) Viewed 112 times

A. Spruce

Re: exterior window replacement and sizing

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Are you planning on installing a retrofit window or new construction window? These are two different types of window that are installed differently, and it could account for what you're being told.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

queene

Post by queene » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:51 pm

i would think they'd be considered retrofit as there's no nail fin. i am replacing siding so it could have nail fin but he has wider brick mold with one he's quoting me. he's not calling it either of those terms. he told me that when people install his windows they tend to think he measured them wrong and that's why he was showing me that the inside measurements are shorter height and width wise so you have to add more framing and that's just the way his windows are. he has a decent reputation in our community so i'm not worried that they're odd windows. thx for reply.

queene

Post by queene » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:55 pm

btw thanks shannon for taking the time to make your detailed videos. have gleaned a lot.

queene

Post by queene » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:10 pm

sorry i was mixed up (or may still be) not retro fit as it's coming with entire frame to fit into rough opening, not just the glass part going into existing wood frame. duh!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:22 pm

Ok, so you're pulling the old window out, down to bare frame and you will have the exterior exposed due to siding replacement.

Well, the way you would measure that opening for a window would be from one side of the framed opening to the other (width first), then from header to sill of the rough opening (height second). The window ordered would then fit within that opening with +/- 1" overall clearance. If your window guy is making the windows 3" smaller than the framed opening, then he isn't making them correctly! You should not have to alter the size of the opening to replace a window.

The only caveat to this is if you are intentionally changing the window size OR your existing window is an odd size and you have to bring it into a standard size, for instance, you have a 38" wide opening, you would buy a standard 36" wide window and have to add a 1x4 to either side to shrink down the opening.

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:29 am

There is no way you should have to install 3" of framing. I install 2" reno brickmold windows all the time and they generally give me an extra 1" of space total in the R.O.
My suppliers have an option of 1-1/2" reno Brickmold as well but I like the 2" because it gives me more wiggle room if the original window was tight or framing was out of square.I also always only measure the outside of the original brick mould to determine my size because to measure the actual R.O means pulling off the interior casing and then having to re install it since the windows are custom made they take at least 4-6 weeks to order and then it could be a month later until I install. So removing and reinstalling the casing takes time and is a PITA that can be avoided by measuring the outside instead.The only reason I would measure the RO instead would be if customer insisted on re-using the existing casing, even then that does not always work out cause some is so cheap and dry it does not come off well.

How did this guy determine your window sizes?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

queene

Post by queene » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am

He went to house and measured from outside. Then gave me quote and when I went to his shop he said I want to show you something before you order your window. That's when he said the inside part will be smaller than the previous window, and you will have to add this framing to make it work. He says other people have questioned him and said 'you made the wrong size of window' but he says no, this is how mine are produced. He has a good reputation in town so I'm not assuming that he makes bad Windows. It must just be the method he uses. I'm going to phone them again to get better explanation cuz I'm confused. I asked him several times when he first showed or told me that so I just assumed modern windows have to be done that way. Appreciate the replies

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:11 pm

What is the window brand?Do you have any pictures of one of their windows ?

I see your old window has a "sill on the bottom and not a brick mould so if the new window has a 2" brickmold on bottom instead of sill I can see there being maybe 1-1/2" of space on the bottom but not anywhere else. Other wise they should leave you with a 1/2" bigger space on each of the other 3 sides compared to what you have with the existing windows.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 pm

From what you describe, your guy either doesn't know how to measure windows or doesn't know how to build them. If your rough opening is, for argument's sake, 36"x36", then the replacement window for that rough opening should be undersized within an inch of those dimensions.

If I were you, I'd measure a window for myself, then I'd look into Pella or Anderson, both make wood windows, and see what their windows measure. How do you measure a rough opening if it isn't exposed? Fairly simple, really. If you've got drywall around the window opening, it will be 1/2" thick, per side, so if you measure surface to surface, you would add 1" and that would be your rough opening. If your windows are wood wrapped, then I'd pull a piece of face trim off to see how thick the wrap is, probably 3/4", in this case you'd add 1-1/2" to your width and height measurements. When in doubt, post a pic and we'll help you figure it out.