shingling between new roof and soffit

Ask your questions regarding the exterior of your house - siding, roofing, etc.
woodsy

shingling between new roof and soffit

Post by woodsy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:36 am

I am building a porch addition. The new porch roof is under the existing soffit by 24" There is only 5" of clearance between the soffit and the porch roof sheathing. I have no idea how to shingle the new roof with only 5" of clearance on the right side of the roof. The only thing I can think of is to glue the shingles with roofing cement. Enclosed is a pic. of the where the porch is being built. I put the sheathing on by gluing the edge and putting wedges in place to hold it until the glue dries.
Attachments
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG (93.28 KiB) Viewed 29 times

Shannon

Re: shingling between new roof and soffit

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:07 am

That is a pretty tight area and tricky as you have figured out. Sometimes you can simply turn the head of your hammer sideways and pound in the nails but usually the roof sheeting is to bouncy and you end up getting no where. Alternatively you could use wafer head screws and a angle drill. Even that is pretty tight for it but hopefully that will fit. Cement only I would not recommend because it will likely fail over time.
Maybe someone else here has a way they have come up with,Ill be interested to here about it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: shingling between new roof and soffit

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:02 am

Why not either raise or lower the porch roof?

IMHO, you're not gaining anything aesthetically to have a change in roof plane from the house to the porch. If you raise the roof, I'd simply extend the existing roof out. If you want a lower roof for aesthetic reasons, then lower it 6" to 12" so that you can also get in there to install flashing from the wall the porch roof, because shingles alone are not going to give you a water tight seal.

If you choose to extend the existing roof, you'll actually cut the existing overhang off and start the new construction at the wall.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.